Feb 05, 2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
If you had someone to build those planes for you for free, would you consider one of them? Or are those something you are just not interested in? Looking to see if there is any interest out there for this.
Hang on now guys- the original question was whether there are people out there who would like a custom built model for free. Maybe Frank is trying to get something along those lines going? It looks like this discussion has now turned into the age old ARF vs. kit build saga.....

Edit: Ah just found this in the Blog section:

"How would you like to help your fellow modeler build a Mountain Models or Stevens Aero designed airplane?

We all know the beauty of these airplanes and it is a shame that many RCers avoid these planes due to the fact you actually have to build and cover them.

I am suggesting that we can help solve that problem by joining together and forming a team of builders around the US that can help teach people to build their own plane, or if you want, you can build the plane for them (because we know building is so much fun but cannot afford or have the room for more planes).

If you are interested in joining in this effort to help our fellow modeler and help promote model aviation, let me know and your location and I will add you to my list.

Thanks,

Frank "
Last edited by wizard of odd; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2013, 08:09 PM
Lou
Lou
Looked at the blog and the only thing I see being promoted is Mountain Models and Stevens Aero airplanes.

Enough said.
Feb 05, 2013, 08:10 PM
It's not that difficult to build with wood. People been doing it for centuries.

It is time consuming but the planes built well last a long time, look great, and perform well.

The quality gap between ARF's and hand built has closed dramatically in the last decade. I don't see that trend changing.

One issue I will argue is the idea that foam is easier to repair.
It might be easier in some regards, but it's pretty dang rare that a repaired foamie looks good post repair.
Feb 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
Build a plane for someone else to fly? Maybe if I was retired or unable to work, with too much time on my hands. Otherwise, no. As in, no way. Call me selfish, I don't care. I'm very selective about how I waste kill utilize my free time.

Under the right conditions, I'd be OK "teaching" how to build but nobody's ever asked.
Feb 05, 2013, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b
Build a plane for someone else to fly? Maybe if I was retired or unable to work, with too much time on my hands. Otherwise, no. As in, no way. Call me selfish, I don't care. I'm very selective about how I waste kill utilize my free time.

Under the right conditions, I'd be OK "teaching" how to build but nobody's ever asked.
I am retired and i still don't want to build, now i did build quite a few great planes models in the late 1980,s early 1990. Hundreds of hours of work, the results were rewarding, but i just want to fly now, time is a wastin !
Feb 05, 2013, 09:18 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
I will take a balsa Euro Fighter 2000! 5 foot wingspan.
Feb 06, 2013, 12:06 AM
characters welcome!
Seems Frank just likes to build MM planes: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1824987

I mean, if he just wants to build MM planes for folk that otherwise wouldn't have a balsa bird, why not?

mw
Feb 06, 2013, 12:11 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
I can see a couple of good reasons why Frank mentions those two. One, They are among the best kits made. And Frank knows them well.
Feb 06, 2013, 12:52 AM
characters welcome!
They're fun to build too. I actually built the wing of a G480 in my lap just to see if it would come out straight. It did.

mw
Feb 06, 2013, 01:04 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
I learned on a Tower Hobbys Vista Ep and because of that I respect what it takes to repair balsa. I'm glad I went that route.
Feb 06, 2013, 07:29 AM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Seems Frank just likes to build MM planes: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1824987

I mean, if he just wants to build MM planes for folk that otherwise wouldn't have a balsa bird, why not?

mw
Not surprised to see you write that ... you and Frank are friends.

Why not offer to build any model, why is he pushing two particulary brands? I am surprised he has not offered to outfit the plane with parts from Headsuprc.

Why not offer to build an Oly from Skybench? Or a Marauder from MM Glider Tech?

Seems to me he is using the forum to push two vendors in particular. Why is that?
Feb 06, 2013, 08:05 AM
AMA 537620
I can see the "I just want to fly" argument if you're constantly wrecking planes... but once you have a few solid fliers, the planes you're building are just extra gravy. How many can you realistically fly on a regular basis anyway? What building gives me is something aviation related to do when it's too darned cold out to fly. I'm an aviation nut though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Feb 06, 2013, 09:41 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
I can see the "I just want to fly" argument if you're constantly wrecking planes... but once you have a few solid fliers, the planes you're building are just extra gravy. How many can you realistically fly on a regular basis anyway? What building gives me is something aviation related to do when it's too darned cold out to fly. I'm an aviation nut though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
This sums me up as well. I think it's been almost three years since I balled up a plane. I build for the enjoyment of building. I don't have a lot of planes but that's due to long builds.
Feb 06, 2013, 10:03 AM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake
Not surprised to see you write that ... you and Frank are friends.

Why not offer to build any model, why is he pushing two particulary brands? I am surprised he has not offered to outfit the plane with parts from Headsuprc.

Why not offer to build an Oly from Skybench? Or a Marauder from MM Glider Tech?

Seems to me he is using the forum to push two vendors in particular. Why is that?
Yes we are and I'm happy to admit it. What's it to you?

Frank likes the way MM and Stevens planes are jigged to go together without a lot of fuss and he enjoys doing it. That's what he flies and sees it as a way to promote the hobby unlike others who see a conspiracy or a shill under every rock. The man wants to build MM or Stevens airframes for people for free to help folk understand and enjoy that particular segment of the hobby and you bag on him? What significant effort have you made lately to promote the hobby?

mw (pre-coffee)
Last edited by Mark Wood; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Feb 06, 2013, 10:49 AM
There has been a few threads in the past with people asking if someone will build a model for them, the usual replies involve the number of hours involved, and the sort of price per hour required to make it worth while.

If someone does enjoy building, has a load of free time, then I see no reason why they shouldn't offer to build for others whether for free, or at an agreed price.

Personally I wouldn't like to get involved, mainly because my mind generally looks for all the things that could go wrong or cause a problem. And I think there could be quite a few.

The old, 'I haven't got time to build' comments occasionally posted, often make me wonder how they will find the time to fly, also how do they find so much time to spend on the Internet.

But if anyone does fancy having a go at building their own model, anything from super simple to super complicated, then the Foamies(Scratchbuilt) forum is a good introduction. Starting with sheet foam structures is also a good intro for those that may want to try balsa later.

Quick Reply