not done yet but getting closer
I wrote a short description how to do it here
case pelican 1520
main vga screen 15"
secondary video/vga screen 5"
temp lcd - temp in and out the case
main voltage and current meter
usb hub with its on voltage/current meter
ac dc power switch with pico ups for charging the sla battery and protecting from unexpected power cut when plugged to ac
access point modem for multiple connection to the station
at top of the case xbee antenna
gcs will talk wirelessly to an antenna tracker with xbee repeater and a 5.8 or 1.3 ghz rx for live video - didn't yet choose one
and the add-on

again not done yet but getting closer had a bad luck with my motor and is now hospitalized at intensive care
Last edited by elador; Feb 06, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 02:03 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by elador

not done yet but getting closer
case pelican 1520
main vga screen 15"
video/secondary vga screen 5"
temp lcd - in/out temp
voltage and current meter
usb hub with its on voltage/current meter
ac dc power switch with pico ups for charging the sla battery and protecting from unexpected power cut when plugged to ac
and the add-on
Hi...Nice setup.

I have a similar setup but went a different way with the power distribution: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2536

I had a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. "usb hub with its on voltage/current meter" - Do you have a parts list for that setup? That's the only thing I haven't worked out yet.

2. "ac dc power switch with pico ups for charging the sla battery and protecting from unexpected power cut when plugged to ac" - the picoPSU actually will charge the 12V SLA battery while on AC power? I'm using Lipos, but may change things up a bit if that is a better option. It also get rid of one of my regulators (24V -> 12V).

Thanks in advance.
Jan 31, 2013, 02:21 PM
1. "usb hub with its on voltage/current meter" - Do you have a parts list for that setup? That's the only thing I haven't worked out yet.

its a 7 port usb with on/off switches
lcd voltage and current switching meter from ebay 12v to 5.3v regulator

2. "ac dc power switch with pico ups for charging the sla battery and protecting from unexpected power cut when plugged to ac" - the picoPSU actually will charge the 12V SLA battery while on AC power? I'm using Lipos, but may change things up a bit if that is a better option. It also get rid of one of my regulators (24V -> 12V).

I choose the 12v 7ah sla battery to avoid using another regulator and for balancing the case as well plus it is easier to charge and cheaper to replace yes the picoups will charge the battery all the time while connected to ac it is actually 12.8v from the ac and so the sla battery

- tried as much to avoid using regulators and to keep things as simple as I can regarding the voltage

Thanks in advance.

you very welcome
Last edited by elador; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
Quote:

its a 7 port usb with on/off switches
lcd voltage and current switching meter from ebay 12v to 5.3v regulator

I choose the 12v 7ah sla battery to avoid using another regulator and for balancing the case as well plus it is easier to charge and cheaper to replace yes the picoups will charge the battery all the time while connected to ac it is actually 12.8v from the ac and so the sla battery

Thanks in advance.
USB: Thanks. I already have the 5v regulator and switch ready. I was looking to build the USB port from scratch, but this helps a bunch. Already found some options.

picoPSU setup: Looking at this: http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-120-...8&category=980

Says 13-18V input. I have my AC-DC convertor set at 12V output. Wondering if that would suffice or if I'd have to adjust it up some? What picoPSU are you using? 12.8V no issue with any electronics? Computer?
Jan 31, 2013, 02:43 PM
Chris
Wow, very professional setups...

Embarrassed to ask: Is there anyone using a cheap 7 inch 480x234 display for FPV?
I'm trying to find a cheap solution but they all have this crappy resolution.

I guess it will not be enough even for basic flying, will it?

Thanks
Chris

EDIT: I've found someone that has it in their station but they're not flying with it...
Last edited by cmavr8; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Jan 31, 2013, 02:44 PM
USB: Thanks. I already have the 5v regulator and switch ready. I was looking to build the USB port from scratch, but this helps a bunch. Already found some options.

oh I just bought one as it is much easier and cheaper then to build one
you can then use something like fe1.1s or similar for usb2.0 hub and then can use one of its port to connect to another fe1.1s and so on..

picoPSU setup: Looking at this: http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-120-...8&category=980

yeap the one I got

Says 13-18V input. I have my AC-DC convertor set at 12V output. Wondering if that would suffice or if I'd have to adjust it up some? What picoPSU are you using? 12.8V no issue with any electronics? Computer?

the 12.8 instead of 13 is just because my ac/dc convertor isn't capable of outputting 13v might hack it but it isn't really important or in my todo list
no issue all electronic comes with regulators built in and +-10% is ok and even higher but with care!
usually the problem start when the voltage is lower then required
Last edited by elador; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Jan 31, 2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8
Wow, very professional setups...

Embarrassed to ask: Is there anyone using a cheap 7 inch 480x234 display for FPV?
I'm trying to find a cheap solution but they all have this crappy resolution.

I guess it will not be enough even for basic flying, will it?

Thanks
Chris
thanks! wasn't really hard to do it

I believe you can get a 800X6/4somthing resolution for less then 50$ shipped from ebay
just ask for small discount from seller
Jan 31, 2013, 02:50 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
Quote:

oh I just bought one as it is much easier and cheaper then to build one
you can then use something like fe1.1s or similar for usb2.0 hub and then can use one of its port to connect to another fe1.1s and so on..

yeap the one I got

the 12.8 instead of 13 is just because my ac/dc convertor isn't capable of outputting 13v might hack it but it isn't really important or in my todo list
no issue all electronic comes with regulators built in and +-10% is ok and even higher but with care!
Sweet! My biggest concern was the power for the ITX motherboard; didn;t want to blow it up. Thanks for the info. Of course I'm almost done with my setup and now have to change it up!!
Jan 31, 2013, 03:00 PM
@kc10kevin
best of luck with your overkill setup are you planning image processing with your pc?
check your pc bare when first testing the new voltage but once again shouldn't be any problem with it you might also want to check the datasheet for your pc and see the voltage range and specs
Jan 31, 2013, 04:33 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
Quote:
@kc10kevin
best of luck with your overkill setup are you planning image processing with your pc?
check your pc bare when first testing the new voltage but once again shouldn't be any problem with it you might also want to check the datasheet for your pc and see the voltage range and specs
Thanks. I always do things that way. Anyway, the computer is pretty low power. Just going to use it for mission planning and video recording. Didn;t want to lug my laptop around as well.
Feb 01, 2013, 01:57 PM
this is my ground station

unfortunately its keeping me from completing my fpv groud station at home

anybody try using tv screens usually used in cars? ive got a buddy who has about 7 screens he ripped out of a BMW he bought (previous owner pimped his own ride...) figure if anything they would be better (and cheaper in my case) than gutting a small tv bought brand new...
Feb 01, 2013, 02:02 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disp0sablehero
this is my ground station

You mean the blue thing ? So you do your FPV seated...
Feb 01, 2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
You mean the blue thing ? So you do your FPV seated...
well duhhh well see whos laughing when there miles out and duty calls

were between the taxiway and landing strip sooooo that blue box was a gift seeing how it wasnt there the first week and we had no way off our site for duty
Last edited by Disp0sablehero; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Feb 01, 2013, 02:49 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
LOL ! Put it in loiter mode while you...em...concentrate on something else. As long as you don't mix up your RTH
Feb 01, 2013, 06:39 PM
Work in progress!

Just a dry run of parts!

Quick Reply