Oct 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
I am so old that I remember when any powered model boat was quite an achievement in itself. Control meant aiming the boat toward your buddy on the other side of the lagoon and hoping it would make it all the way. Didja ever rig up a wind-up toy motor to spin a prop on the back end of a pointy slab of wood, how about a rubber band powered paddle wheeler?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
I am not so old, we had HIGH TECH Co2 cartridges in a hole in the back end of a pointy 2X4, you had to hit the business end of the cartridge Just so ....
Oct 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Just as a point of interest. Talking to the guy that does the copies of plans for me, I had him make copies of the original Sterling American Scout plans and I was worried that they were in bad shape. He told me not to worry. The old paper had cloth fibers in the paper and would outlast any of todays papers. All have to go by is his word. He has been working with it longer than me. Just sayin.

Doug
Oct 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
P31
P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I am so old that I remember when any powered model boat was quite an achievement in itself. Control meant aiming the boat toward your buddy on the other side of the lagoon and hoping it would make it all the way. Didja ever rig up a wind-up toy motor to spin a prop on the back end of a pointy slab of wood, how about a rubber band powered paddle wheeler?
Hell when I was a boy, I shot the deer with my bow, and skinned the deer used the skins to make my canoe. And then the white man came
Oct 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
Gee, the aeroplane I had I started it by swinging the propeller. Then take off avoiding the deposits in the pasture.
Oct 28, 2012, 01:23 AM
Sounds familiar, Charlie. When I would take our Aero Club's Aeronca up, I had to get someone to go over with me to "give me a prop." It was basic flying - no starter, no radio, no flaps and it was a tail-dragger. And, Gary, my logbook shows that on April 21, 1962, I flew from So. Tacoma to the small airfield in then bucolic Spanaway, WA, a flight of 30 min., and back.
Oct 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
P31
P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
Sounds familiar, Charlie. When I would take our Aero Club's Aeronca up, I had to get someone to go over with me to "give me a prop." It was basic flying - no starter, no radio, no flaps and it was a tail-dragger. And, Gary, my logbook shows that on April 21, 1962, I flew from So. Tacoma to the small airfield in then bucolic Spanaway, WA, a flight of 30 min., and back.
I think it's called Spanaway Airport Now. In 1962 I was in rigger's school at Fort Lee Va. Then off to Germany
Gary
Nov 02, 2012, 06:18 PM
Chris Craft Corvette
Not to hijack this thread buuttt
Tim Brown's Sterling Chris Craft Monterey . I built that model in the eight grade and still have it. I had one of those cool electric outboards but sold it to a collecter many years ago. I put an 05 inboard motor in it. I covered the hull in tissue to help strengthen it. It really should be redone again, but it's what led me to build the Corvette. I'll dig it out and take a picture.
Dick
Nov 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
PLEASE DO get some pictures of it and post !!!
Nov 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
Tonight ?

Nov 02, 2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Tonight ?

I have 7AC time in my logbooks... J3-C65 too! nuttin wrong with the armstrong starter!

Pics of the Monterey would be great!
Nov 02, 2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
6 days before I was born,lol.
Nov 03, 2012, 11:45 AM
Chris Craft Corvette
Hi Tim,
Here are some pictures of the 21' Chris Craft Monterey. I couldn't get all the pictures on this post so I'll do another post with the balance. I built the boat in
1955 give or take one year. Do I get the "OLD" trophy??? I hope you post your build on this. I looking forward to following it.
You can see my pretty rough conversion to inboard. I used a Tamiya humppack battery and tried to hide it in the box in the back. It set pretty close to the waterline in the water. It was fast. It planed easily. I had leaks that delaminated the transom.
Now I'm pretty sure it was the stuffing box. I fixed the rudder stuffing box with the silicone tubing.
Dick
Nov 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
Chris Craft Corvette
Here are the rest of the pictures. We just moved a month ago from western Michigan to sunny Charleston, South Carolina so this gave me an excuse to find the box it was packed in and get it out and clean it. It was setting out in Michigan for over 20 years, so it was in need of a good cleaning. I'm thinking about maybe finding one of those outboards and returning the model to the way the real boat was set up. I think it would be much easier to balance and not have the box in the open area.
In Michigan right now it's pretty cold. We've only been here a month and an ice cream truck just went by--in November--this is pretty confusing for a former yankee.
Dick
Nov 03, 2012, 12:12 PM
Very nice, 42Corvette!!!

Quick Reply