Oct 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Dave the Rave
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
LiPo = Lithium-ion polymer batteries
Li-Po is actually the abbreviation for Lithium-Polymer batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries are different, the chemistry is the same, but a Lithium-Ion battery is housed in a metal case just like an alkaline or carbon zinc battery. A123 batteries are Li-Io cells. The metal case makes them more rugged and better able to handle abuse, but also heavier, so for R/C it's a trade-off of good and bad features. The "authorities" may have decided that the metal housing is more dangerous than that of a Li-Po, although if you've ever seen a Li-Po catch fire, it's pretty scary.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing
Your turn has come as well I'm afraid.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulleti...l/updt_012.htm

"Effective May 16, 2012, the Postal Service™ will revise Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail, to indicate that primary lithium metal or lithium alloy (non­rechargeable) cells and batteries, or secondary lithium-ion cells or batteries (rechargeable), are prohibited when mailed internationally or to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. However, this prohibition does not apply to lithium batteries authorized under 349.22 when mailed within the United States or its territories."
I don't think we normal mortals can understand all this

If you read publication 622.52 (scroll to the bottom of the page) it says it's possible. Totally
Oct 25, 2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccormick001
Li-Po is actually the abbreviation for Lithium-Polymer batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries are different, the chemistry is the same, but a Lithium-Ion battery is housed in a metal case just like an alkaline or carbon zinc battery. A123 batteries are Li-Io cells. The metal case makes them more rugged and better able to handle abuse, but also heavier, so for R/C it's a trade-off of good and bad features. The "authorities" may have decided that the metal housing is more dangerous than that of a Li-Po, although if you've ever seen a Li-Po catch fire, it's pretty scary.

You need to read the regulation to understand the definitions.

QUOTE from IATA Doc.
Lithium-ion batteries (sometimes abbreviated Li-ion batteries) are a type of secondary (rechargeable) battery commonly used in consumer electronics. Also included within lithium-ion batteries are lithium polymer batteries. Lithium-ion batteries are generally found in mobile telephones, laptop computers, etc.

Unfortunately for me I work in the aviation industry so I never make assumptions when reading regulations. It always pay's to read the full documents.
Oct 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
RC beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccormick001
Li-Po is actually the abbreviation for Lithium-Polymer batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries are different, the chemistry is the same, but a Lithium-Ion battery is housed in a metal case just like an alkaline or carbon zinc battery.
shafter and videoking are right. technically speaking all lipo are lithium ion. however in common parlance the hard case ones are called lithium ion (aka lion) and those we use in planes are lipo. a123 type usually called life. chemistry and package do not necessarily go together but generally lipo are what are called "pouch" and hard cells "prismatic" or cylindrical. to be correct they are all lithium ion technology though.
Oct 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
Mtz
Mtz
If the problem is only with batteries which come from overseas, maybe the seller must try Swiss Post (better) or German Post. The order will enter in UK from Switzerland or Germany and is not considered coming from overseas.
If the order will come with German Post when entering in UK is considered to be from EU. From Swiss Post is another story because Non-EU. I said Swiss Post is better because I heard German Post doesn't offer tracking numbers from China.

enjoy,
Mtz
Oct 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing
I'm no expert,but from reading the IATA document I believe that these small cameras packed individually DO NOT require any special labels or require special transport. The IATA document itself states this in the question and answer section at the end.
As these cameras have a single self contained battery of less than 20Wh the following applies:-

QUOTE from IATE Doc.:-
Q-I have an MP3 player that contains one single-cell lithium ion battery pack. Do I have to label the shipping box that contains each MP3 player? What if I place five MP3 players in a shipping box? Does this require a label?

A-For packages of single MP3 players, no lithium battery label would be required since you can place up to 4 of these single-cell batteries in a box without labelling the outer box. In the case where 5 MP3 players are in a shipping package, a lithium battery label on the outer shipping package would be required.

Might be worth sending a copy of that document off to the manufacturer so they can see the full picture.
Yes I picked up that FAQ Part 2 sectionr H
I also saw that the Cell is 0.888 watt/hours which is less than (4 or 2.7 watt/hours (depending on where in the document you read)) so up to 4 can be shipped in the same package without warning label.
Also this stricture does not come into force until Jan 1 2013.
mind you that is no protection from little men with official looking bits of paper.
We need a Man From what used to be called H M Customs (2 or 3 re brandings ago.
Mike
Oct 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
If the UK would have a better train service, then the Royal Mail would stop flying LiPos around the country. I don't think an exploding LiPo could derail a whole train I haven't visited the UK for some time, but on my last trip I waited 4 hours at a station because the signal was broken....
The wrong type of snow, or leaves, or rain still causes frequent cancellations
BTW trains are for commuters, not goods or mail, Everybody Knows That.
Mike
Oct 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
Just thumbing through...
Maybe the vendor could sell the cam without battery to the UK. Possibly include a cable to make it easy to fit an alternative power supply?
Oct 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999
I just made my first #16 camera video from my favorite glider.
Nice video! I did notice some color shifts, so it might be better with firmware 0.49 and fixed white balance. Still better than #11 in my BOT video here
Oct 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
Fidler & twidler
http://www.royalmail.com/despatch-in...ohibited-goodsRe Posting to UK
Here is link from Royal Mail, as a result of an email, that echos the origional PDF.

Mike
Oct 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
not running for the exercise
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee
Here is link from Royal Mail, as a result of an email, that echos the origional PDF.

Mike
Thanks Mike, however both Isoprop and myself have already posted that link.
Oct 25, 2012, 11:27 AM

remote rf power and shutter switch

hi guys, first want to thank isoprop for his emails in relation to the the original gum camera and his guidance on the new #16 camera, very much appreciated. I am the proud owner of 2 of the new cameras and want to start experimenting!
I've just bought a 2 channel remote TX/RX from maplin here is a link to the receiver spec http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/N87BN.pdf
I guess my question to you pros out there is whether you know if the power/shutter switches switch ground or vcc, and if so which side of the switches. I figured I could use a couple of transistors to do the switching. I have the equipment for the soldering but have limited/no test equipment to check myself so thought I'd ask the question.

thanks in advance,
Philip
Oct 25, 2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee

Mike
If it helps anyone waiting for their keychain cam in the UK.

My latest order arrived today. (eBay sale date 10/10/12)

Simon
Oct 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz
I think when using only the battery with no external power, when the battery will go empty there will be no problems with the card and recordings, but only when using external 5V power.

enjoy,
Mtz
I just want to throw in that this is not correct. I have a great video of the inside of my pocket that I can't get rid of because the battery drained and write protected my card. I've had this happen multiple times before without corrupting the card but it finally caught me. It's a 16Gb MicroCenter UHS-I card. The card worked great until this happened to it. I don't know if the more recent firmware updates will fix this but at the time I was running 0.25ish. I'm hoping that with the updates to the power button start time I will not get any more videos of the inside of my pocket or any more corrupt cards.

BTW, I love this camera! Thanks to all involved.
Oct 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
Are the #16 and #18 battery the same, I have the latter on order and am thinking of telling them to remove it as I can't afford to have it nabbed by the PO. I have some spare #16 batteries if they plug in okay.

thanks.

Quick Reply