Aug 22, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage - Formed Up

Added "interior" (reverse side of colored canvas), formers, and top.

Since I'm leaving to see the Grandkids tomorrow, I'll get more done next week after I return.

Thanks for all the comments.

Gene K
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2012, 05:44 AM
Or current resident
That is just too cool! I'm gonna have to try this technique.
The graphics are outstanding!
Curious if you could run depron through the laser printer. We had a few printers that went in the scrap pile, I could have tried it on one of those just in case the foam melts to the fuser!
What glue are you using?
My problem with working with foam is I haven't found an adhesive I like.
Glenn
Aug 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
I agree that is way cool. I love the weathering and used look it helps make these birds look so much more real I think.

Pete
Aug 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
P. Seitz
I've been following along on the build. I haven,t tried it yet .but I know I got to try it sooner than later !

Paul
Aug 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Curious if you could run depron through the laser printer.
No, no, no.....NO! Besides being too thick, you'd lose it all on the very hot fuser!

Quote:
What glue are you using?
Mainly UHU Por as I detailed in Pete's NP-11 Thread that I mentioned up front. Good info there.

Naptha is great for UHU cleanup - it will remove excess on seams without any bad effects on the foam or tissue (much better than rolling up little gum balls with your finger). Just use a "dampy" paper towel and don't flood the seam else it will dissovle . Naptha is also useful for thinning the UHU.

Thanks to a tip from Freddie B, I tried Elmer's Rubber Cement to laminate foam (as for a cowl), and it's perfect for sanding edges without raising gum balls or riges as UHU would.

I'm away from home, and hopefully won't have to return early to board-up for Hurricane Isaac! Also hope it will spare you too, Glenn!

Gene K
Aug 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
Or current resident
That's what I figured. That's why I would try it on a printer from the scrap pile. If the depron gums up the works, who cares!
Where do you get the POR? That's one I haven't tried. All the other glues I have tried are either too gummy or brittle.
Looks like Isaac should pass far enough to our west to be no big deal for us. Up in Gulf Breeze could be a different story. The current track puts it close to there.
We will get a lot of rain, something we really don't need around here right now.
Glenn
Aug 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I would try it [printing on foam with a laser printer] on a printer from the scrap pile.
I seriously doubt the printer will feed the foam!

Quote:
Where do you get the POR?
I ordered a batch from England via eBay many moons ago - came out to $3.50 each (15 tubes), including shipping. Unfortunately, I can't find that deal anymore. You can get it at RCFoam, but will cost more. Beacon Foam Tac is "sort of" less expensive substitute, but I prefer UHU Por.

Quote:
Looks like Isaac should pass far enough to our west to be no big deal.
No big deal for you, but unfortunate for me since it will then be heading towards Pensacola!

Gene K
Aug 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Or current resident
Yeah, the current track shows that storm is heading your way. Could also move further west.
How thick is the Depron? Would make more sense to use ink-aid and run the foam through the inkjet.
I might have to try foam-tac. Wish it was available locally.

Glenn
Aug 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Fabulous. Subscribed.
Aug 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yeah, the current track shows that storm is heading your way.
I came back early today to do my "hurricane prep". If it hits here, it will be my third hurricane in eight years. Time to retire somewhere else....maybe....but then, paradise is worth it. By the way, I served many years down your way at McDill AFB.

Quote:
How thick is the Depron? Would make more sense to use ink-aid and run the foam through the inkjet.
Pete and I use 2mm as the best compromise between weight and strength. As regards printing directly on foam, there are some beautiful printed Depron builds on RCGroups (like this).

However, I've tried many times, but finally gave up after ruining a great Epson inkjet. My challenges included, among other things, getting foam thin enough (I slice my own, but it didn't have the strength I thought I needed), aligning the patterns on both sides of the foam for double sided printing, and "the bother" of going through Inkaid application and waterproofing the final product. So I don't necessarily agree that "it makes more sense to run the foam through an inkjet."

Considering the advantages (to me) of tissue-printing (waterproof, added strength, no Depron thickness limitation, ease of making round sections without creasing, etc, etc), I settled on printed tissue. I haven't given up on trying to print directly on Depron, so I donated some equipment to Pete to figure it out for me - he has more time to play than I do.

Back to Huricane Prep....

Gene K
Aug 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Or current resident
What I meant about 'makes more sense to run it through the inkjet' as opposed to trying to run the foam through a laser printer. That would surely make a gooey mess of the fuser.

Mcdill, were you in the 56th TFW?

Man, it really looks like you guys are going to be in the path of Isaac, bummer.
Aug 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Mcdill, were you in the 56th TFW?
Yes, 62nd TFS (originally 94thTFS, part of the 1st TFW (Phantoms), but we had to give up our heritage designation so that the FIRST F-15 unit could have it (Langley AFB)). Gamesmanship at its finest.

Gene K
Aug 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
Or current resident
Loved those F4E's in the camo scheme.
Man, looks like you guys better get started boarding up the windows. Good luck!
Nothing here, a little rain and a mild breeze. Panic buying in the stores yesterday. All the water/bread/milk/batteries and canned goods cleared out of walmart. Dang media has everybody freaked out over a little tropical storm. Unfortunately it won't be just a little tropical storm by the time it gets there!
Glenn
Aug 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Thread OP

Hurricane Isaac Reprive!

Thankfully my area is spared, so I had some time to prepare the wing: cut and baked a Depron wing blank; arranged wing graphics to allow folding over the leading edges; and printed the covering. Because my printer's max paper size is legal (8.5x14), I can't print the 15" wing pattern on one piece of paper.

Next step is to form and attach a CF leading edge, make a trough to house the aileron "cable" (using Pete's method of bead wire inside Teflon tubing), and finally ... apply the tissue. Hopefully will have the wing done in a couple of days.

Gene K
Aug 28, 2012, 06:14 PM
Or current resident
Good news that the storm missed you. I too am a fan of bead wire in a teflon tube. Nearly friction free and easy to rig.
Glenn

Quick Reply