May 08, 2012, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks
Another interesting glitch, I rebound the RL using the advanced binding and then,
.... unplugged the RL transmitter from its battery the motor kept running on the plane as if it never realized the RL had disconnected.
That seems like a pretty big problem.
Advanced binding, resets the failsafe to hold last position. Need to set failsafe positions yourself
following advanced binding. It's not a bug.

ian
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Advanced binding, resets the failsafe to hold last position. Need to set failsafe positions yourself
following advanced binding. It's not a bug.

ian
Got it! Fixed it. Thanks Ian.

Flew this evening and rangtested on the soccer field in micro mode and got maybe 10 paces. Flew at low power and got out to less than 800 yards and went into failsafe briefly. Was able to get out of it and land. Still stumped. I think I'll need to send the Tx, Rx back to Sid and have it look it over. Major disapointment. 3.5 miles and now down to 800 yards.
May 09, 2012, 12:12 AM

Rangelink now has very short range

Interesting development...

I disconnected my Eagletree OSD and E-logger and now in Micropower mode I can get 21 paces (yards) with the turntable antenna. My last test, with the Eagletree connected, was less than 10 feet before I lost any connection. I am stumped as to why the Eagletree would kill the RL range. Any ideas?
May 09, 2012, 12:26 AM
What about your flight camera? Powered, or not?

ian
May 09, 2012, 12:40 AM
Quote:
What about your flight camera? Powered, or not?

ian
Its a Readymade RC 700

I power it off of the balance plug from the battery. (this one, also from Readymade RC)
May 09, 2012, 12:42 AM
Actually the Readymade RC RC 700 powers off of the Immersion 600 mw 5.8 transmitter. The transmitter itself is getting its power off of the balance plug using the Readymade RC JST-XH Balance to JST-Male Battery Style connector.
May 09, 2012, 12:43 AM
I'm sooooo close!
May 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
That wasn't my question. When you say you took the OSD et. all out, did you also de-power
the camera? Or put more simply, have you tested the range, with and without the camera
in the mix?

ian
May 09, 2012, 01:01 AM
Range test without the eagletree was equally good (30+ yards) with the camera attached and without.
May 09, 2012, 03:41 AM
I am experiencing very short range too.... but it seems unrelated to anything. (tested 2 different rxs, 3 different cameras, different vtx, no vtx and no bec at all, but still very short range)
Even the rx alone and one HTX900 servo powered from 4 nimh, max range in micro mode is 10-15m max. In flight I can reach 1,2-2Km at 35-40% RSSI, but sometimes i get failsafes even sooner.

Ian, read somewhere you had the a similar problem, was your RL TX? It dropped power?
When it happened, did you mesure the power output or tested the range on the ground or in flight (at full power)?

I haven't powered it without antenna, but now I am not so sure of anything...
May 09, 2012, 03:45 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks
Range test without the eagletree was equally good (30+ yards) with the camera attached and without.
I can't help, but lets put the facts straight. It WORKED, so there is no reason to doubth on board components of all of a sudden createing noise etc. At least that would be very unlikely.

I almost bet it's the antenna connector ON THE RX that is causeing the trouble, or even a fautly RX by itself. Those conectors are known to come loose when over tigthened. Did you ever checked this? It would explain all the behaviour you describe.

Markus
May 09, 2012, 03:51 AM
Quote:
That was 30 miles with Tx on a hill, and Rx inside my car in my FPV plane, with everything powered.
Power everything up (Rx, camera, video tx, ESCs, etc) and redo your micro-power mode test.
The PIXIM Seawolf is known to be quite RF noisy, so if it's very close to your UHF Rx
that is likely your problem. It's hard to get much physical separation on a quad, so you
may end up having to use a different camera to improve your range.
ian
Tested my RL system as you did in the video, with tx on micro mode at the edge of range (rssi was 30-35%).
Tried 3 different camera I had around (sharp starlight from sc2000, sony super had 650tvl from sc2000, HK sony 520TVL) and none seem to have an effect on range (or rssi indication). (With no ferrite or choke next to the camera, but with dedicated 3s lipo and regulator)

Tried the gopro too, selfpowered and hooked up to vtx....and no effect too!?

What was the LR of the video?
May 09, 2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456
I can't help, but lets put the facts straight. It WORKED, so there is no reason to doubth on board components of all of a sudden createing noise etc. At least that would be very unlikely.

I almost bet it's the antenna connector ON THE RX that is causeing the trouble, or even a fautly RX by itself. Those conectors are known to come loose when over tigthened. Did you ever checked this? It would explain all the behaviour you describe.

Markus
Hmmm, I've looked closely at the Rx connection to the antenna cable and the Rx connection to the Rx board and it all looks fine. Unless there is a small defect I can't see. The thing I can't figure out is why does my range (during Micro power test) drop dramatically when the Eagletree is connected? With the Eagletree connected I get less than 10 feet but when I disconnect the Eagletree I get 30 yards during the range test.
May 09, 2012, 02:11 PM

To clarify my problem I'm attaching two pics showing my layout with the eagletree, which severely reduces my range (10 feet) with the Rangelink during the micropower range test, and then the layout without the eagletree, which miraculously increases my range during micropower to 30 yards.
May 09, 2012, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a question for other ET users. I've not heard that ET gear is UHF noisy, but then
I really haven't heard that it isn't either.

ian

Quick Reply