Apr 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Memento Mori
Hello everyone. I have a question. New to helis and bought 2 in 2 weeks a 120sr and today a mcpx. Well the mcpx it a lot more heli in smaller package to say the least. Well I was playing around and I experienced a "tail blowout" I guess that's what they're called. What excectly causes that and how to prevent it in the future.

Using a dx8 and manual settings. I don't want to "dumb it down" as that would promote bad finger habits (jmo). I'm in control just fine in terms of turning forward flight, hovering. Just when I started throttling up and down in st-2 mode she blew out. Was kinda cool (and scary). Thanks in advance. And sorry if this has been answered numerous times, just hard to read so many pages ona cell phone and I don't have the search function in tapatalk .
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
Diesel, welcome to your new addiction this heli is a blast. What causes the tail blow out (usually) is there just not being enough motor for the pitch that the heli is capable of. Try turning your positive pitch down to 70 and your negative to around the same. Once you do this, start to hover then punch full collective pitch (up) and if the heli turns (like if you were using rudder), your pitch can go down another point or two. Just my .02
Apr 23, 2012, 01:36 AM
The stalling italian
and...if your tail keeps blowing out, you could extend your boom to 140 mm, which takes care of most of the TBO (tail blow out)

apologies for keeping including links, but here you can find pictures of how I did it

Gio
---
my RC blog
Apr 23, 2012, 06:28 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Hey guys, my stock heli has been shuddering more and more lately. I did the grommet mode on the 3 main ball links a long time ago, which seemed to fix it at the time, but now it's constantly doing it around 0 pitch. Can I get some suggestions on a fix?
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Apr 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
Get out and fly it!
Main gear pushed up and flat lined up?
Too loose or too tight blades?
Apr 23, 2012, 06:44 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Main gear is up tight and lined up. Blades are just loose enough to flop down when on its side.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Apr 23, 2012, 07:15 AM
Do your servo's need a clean?
Apr 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
The stalling italian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz
Hey guys, my stock heli has been shuddering more and more lately. I did the grommet mode on the 3 main ball links a long time ago, which seemed to fix it at the time, but now it's constantly doing it around 0 pitch. Can I get some suggestions on a fix?
Hi Hornetnz, as Aviefly already said, try to clean your servos, that will fix the shakes the most of the times...

Gio
---
my RC blog
Apr 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
All - I purchased a 2nd mcpx from someone on rcgroups recently however it was already modded with the 120 tail mod.

Couple of questions:
1) I've seen mixed reviews on the 120 tail mod - does this work well or do most have better luck witht he extended tail and better tail blade?

2) I have two 120 tail motors and neither will spin when connected to the mcpx 3n1 - board with 120 wiring. Am I missing something here? I know the 3n1 works because the standard mcpx tail still spins in the same connection..
Last edited by mattk0; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Apr 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir
and...if your tail keeps blowing out, you could extend your boom to 140 mm, which takes care of most of the TBO (tail blow out)

apologies for keeping including links, but here you can find pictures of how I did it

Gio
---
my RC blog
I really enjoyed looking through your pictures and how ya did it!!
Apr 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk0
All - I purchased a 2nd mcpx from someone on rcgroups recently however it was already modded with the 120 tail mod.

Couple of questions:
1) I've seen mixed reviews on the 120 tail mod - does this work well or do most have better luck witht he extended tail and better tail blade?

2) I have two 120 tail motors and neither will spin when connected to the mcpx 3n1 - board with 120 wiring. Am I missing something here? I know the 3n1 works because the standard mcpx tail still spins in the same connection..
I found the 120 mod useless. It flew worse than stock tail on a brushed setup. Are you using brushed or brushless? I am not sure why neither one will work, but I would just sell those things and buy a regular tail + some carbon fiber rod and use Gio's guide above. My tail is rock solid even in 10mph wind. If you turn down the collective pitch on the positive/negative ends, you wont have tail blow out issues after you extend your boom a bit.
Apr 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying
I found the 120 mod useless. It flew worse than stock tail on a brushed setup. Are you using brushed or brushless? I am not sure why neither one will work, but I would just sell those things and buy a regular tail + some carbon fiber rod and use Gio's guide above. My tail is rock solid even in 10mph wind. If you turn down the collective pitch on the positive/negative ends, you wont have tail blow out issues after you extend your boom a bit.
Cloudflying -
Thanks, I was wondering if that would be the case. I'll go that route instead of getting a heavier mod. Thanks!
Apr 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk0

Couple of questions:

I'm NOT sure if the 120 tail helps much but here's mine and my buddies stock MCPX's with a 1' longer tail mod. (Brushed everything stock with Thunder power batteries) Even @ 10-15 mph windy conditions don't seem to bother it at all!!
Eran & Mario flying MCPX 2gether (3 min 3 sec)
Apr 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
REYNALDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401
Hello everyone. I have a question. New to helis and bought 2 in 2 weeks a 120sr and today a mcpx. Well the mcpx it a lot more heli in smaller package to say the least. Well I was playing around and I experienced a "tail blowout" I guess that's what they're called. What excectly causes that and how to prevent it in the future.

Using a dx8 and manual settings. I don't want to "dumb it down" as that would promote bad finger habits (jmo). I'm in control just fine in terms of turning forward flight, hovering. Just when I started throttling up and down in st-2 mode she blew out. Was kinda cool (and scary). Thanks in advance. And sorry if this has been answered numerous times, just hard to read so many pages ona cell phone and I don't have the search function in tapatalk .
DIESEL i did the tailboom extended with a V2 tail blade, 3/4 inch is the best option to extend the boom, and if you always fly outdoor i bet 85% on your pitch is better. best regards mate.
Apr 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynldgalano
DIESEL i did the tailboom extended with a V2 tail blade, 3/4 inch is the best option to extend the boom, and if you always fly outdoor i bet 85% on your pitch is better. best regards mate.
I am always outdoor but my collective management is poor so anything over 70 makes my tail piro out of control I have been seeing vast improvements over the past few weeks thought. Nothing like seeing 5 grown men stand on a flight line grinning ear to ear chasing each other around with these helis.

Quick Reply