Aug 10, 2011, 06:46 PM
I always try to maiden all my planes in the same way.
1. Check all controls move in right directions and take a calm breath.
2. little to 0 wind.
3. big field even if I have to drive there and no airplane trees if possible !!!!!!
4. add throttle and as soon as clear of ground concentrate on wings level and get altitude.
5. after getting some altitude, pull back throttle to 1/2 or maybe a little more and start trimming.
6. fly around field at low/mid throttle and start lining up for where I want to land then when the line is good, less throttle and keep wing level then cut throttle to 0 just above ground.
If your really worried about trimming and flying sometimes a friend can move the trims for you while you concentrate on flying and figuring out what plane is doing (rolling left or right, climbing or diving). Just make sure you explain what trims do and is really a good friend .
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2011, 07:03 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
After chipping the stock prop om my Beast, I decided to put on one of my GWS 5030 props instead of the spare in the box.

Question is, how does everyone hold the motor still while unscrewing the prop?

I can't really get my fingers in there to keep it from spinning, and I am afraid of damage to the motor if using pliers.

Also, what size screwdriver works best?
Aug 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardflyer
After chipping the stock prop om my Beast, I decided to put on one of my GWS 5030 props instead of the spare in the box.

Question is, how does everyone hold the motor still while unscrewing the prop?

I can't really get my fingers in there to keep it from spinning, and I am afraid of damage to the motor if using pliers.

Also, what size screwdriver works best?
I just pop the battery hatch off and put my index finger on top of the motor to hold it still.
Aug 10, 2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I just pop the battery hatch off and put my index finger on top of the motor to hold it still.
I tried that but I felt like I was crushing the plane and the screwdriver was just spinning without really gripping the screw head unless I put an extreme amount of force in both directions.
Aug 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
took my beast out for its first flight tonite and wow ami impressed. this is one of the best micros ive flown. Its really an all around performer. Now i just need more batteries
Aug 10, 2011, 07:56 PM
I hate winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88
took my beast out for its first flight tonite and wow ami impressed. this is one of the best micros ive flown. Its really an all around performer. Now i just need more batteries
Welcome to the beast club It sure is an awesome plane!
Aug 10, 2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88
Do you know about the Y-connectors?
Aug 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
I hate winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81
Do you know about the Y-connectors?
Anyone know how well the turnigy 160mah batteries work with the Y connector? I have about 10 of them coming in the next few days, already landed in my country with customs now.
Aug 10, 2011, 08:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock
Anyone know how well the turnigy 160mah batteries work with the Y connector? I have about 10 of them coming in the next few days, already landed in my country with customs now.
Well, they will Work.... But life (cycles) will likely be reduced, flight time will be so-so, and performance will not be there. But you'll be able to cruise around and still have fun... But you will not be able to experience the awesome vertical, the superbe big loops, etc...
Aug 10, 2011, 08:15 PM
Its not that windy...
Quote:
I tried that but I felt like I was crushing the plane and the screwdriver was just spinning without really gripping the screw head unless I put an extreme amount of force in both directions.
As far as the screwdriver goes, I don't really know about sizes, but when you're looking at your set of micro screwdrivers, find the one that has the thickest, smallest point, so it has a better bite to it. If you use the ones that are more pointy, they will just keep slipping off.

I don't think you have to grip the motor that hard to overcome the friction of the screw initially. The screwdriver you use should work without too much force, once you've loosened the screw, lightly press on the motor so it doesn't slip around.

Also, take off the spinner already and manhandle the prop if you have to, it's already broken anyways.
Aug 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Hmmm... Sounds like the screw is just really tight or you are using too small of a screw driver. Or... You've stripped the screw. Try a larger screw driver.
Aug 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
Destructive Tester
Quote:
Use a screwdriver with a larger body but with a tip that fits the screw. You have got to hold the motor and apply a little pressure to the screw as you untighten it. BTW the 5030 works better than the stock and is only a buck
Aug 10, 2011, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
Well, they will Work.... But life (cycles) will likely be reduced, flight time will be so-so, and performance will not be there. But you'll be able to cruise around and still have fun... But you will not be able to experience the awesome vertical, the superbe big loops, etc...
Yeah ... I have to agree - I've been using 160 Hyperions with the Y connnector (glenn's from rc-connectors.com) and the performance is noticeably better even compared to the stock 120 it comes with ... I tried to use e-flite 150s with the connector, but the performance was weak and they were pretty warm to the touch (almost hot) after just 4 minutes of flight.

Hyperions are just great batteries. All the report are 100% true
Aug 10, 2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Hmmm... Sounds like the screw is just really tight or you are using too small of a screw driver. Or... You've stripped the screw. Try a larger screw driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256
Use a screwdriver with a larger body but with a tip that fits the screw. You have got to hold the motor and apply a little pressure to the screw as you untighten it. BTW the 5030 works better than the stock and is only a buck
I got the 5030 prop on, but it just seemed harder to do than what it should have been.

Now just waiting for the wind to die down.
Aug 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
what y connector are we speaking of?
im also on the fence about the 5030 prop. Do we think its a decent option or maybe someones using another prop of some sort?

Quick Reply