Mar 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
wow, I need to get better video editing skills...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2011, 12:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !

It's here !

Received the new inverted V kit, thanks to Art ! 3000 miles of travel, nothing less, and it just got down the plane only to go on another one
Mar 22, 2011, 01:41 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
If anyone wants to go the ARFPV (Almost Ready to FPV) route, check this out:

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/gro...hy-p-7872.html

I'm thinking of going diversity on the GS: whip and patch with 2 VRx. Anybody tried it ? I'll try the patch first but sudenly, I care for peace of mind...
Mar 22, 2011, 02:17 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Received the new inverted V kit, thanks to Art ! 3000 miles of travel, nothing less, and it just got down the plane only to go on another one
I have to build one for the Senorita, I'll show you how, might have time tonight.
Mar 22, 2011, 02:27 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
If anyone wants to go the ARFPV (Almost Ready to FPV) route, check this out:

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/gro...hy-p-7872.html

I'm thinking of going diversity on the GS: whip and patch with 2 VRx. Anybody tried it ? I'll try the patch first but sudenly, I care for peace of mind...
I want to try it too, (not the $600 one) I think diversity would just be another step to better video, and that's what I want. My GS sets fairly close to the runway that I fly from, so it's hard to get good coverage to the left and right very far out.

"What is SRV?"
Mar 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland
..."What is SRV?"
Gees, Stevie Ray Vaughan, should have tought of it myself !!! Yea ! Gotta love SRV

Thanks for the "V", I think it is pretty simple if you only solder the wires to the center of the coax ? If it involves soldering to the shield of the coax, I'll wait to see how you do it. I'll wait anyway, don't want to mess it up, has special value !

So one week your box comes in, almost 4 weeks now for the aiptek and it didn't show its nose...
Mar 22, 2011, 10:45 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Make sure there is no electrical connection between the elements. I usually grind off the excess solder with a dremel cut-off wheel.
Last edited by Art Newland; Mar 23, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Mar 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
Looks like hobbyking is selling their version of the $9 OSD for ~$13 now.

Hobbyking E-OSD

I've been getting planes ready to fly lately... I had bought 2 different pan/tilt setups. One from HK and on from lowprice rc... I assembled them both last night. neither came with instructions. The HK one is really small... too small to use with my camera... The LPRC one went together easier and is large enough to work. I've decided to install the FPV stuff in to the WingDragon4 I have. I'm relocating servos to make more room for batteries and fpv stuff... I've looked through my electronic parts and no 75ohm resistors for the HK VTX... but did find some 150ohm ones.
Mar 23, 2011, 09:04 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thanks Art for this very well done "how-to". I'll try to assemble mine tonight. Dumb question: Can I glue the elements in place on the board and then solder the coax to them and the board ? I'm afraid the elements will unsolder from the board if I heat them again to solder the coax wires. Also, the board is only there as a support mean right ?
Mar 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8
Looks like hobbyking is selling their version of the $9 OSD for ~$13 now.

Hobbyking E-OSD

I've been getting planes ready to fly lately... I had bought 2 different pan/tilt setups. One from HK and on from lowprice rc... I assembled them both last night. neither came with instructions. The HK one is really small... too small to use with my camera... The LPRC one went together easier and is large enough to work. I've decided to install the FPV stuff in to the WingDragon4 I have. I'm relocating servos to make more room for batteries and fpv stuff... I've looked through my electronic parts and no 75ohm resistors for the HK VTX... but did find some 150ohm ones.
Go Mike Go!
Got all those FPV boxes open yet?

I think we need pictures!

I used two 150's in parallel, matter of fact I had some 68 ohm, they seemed to do about the same job but were 1/4 watt and kind of bulky.
Mar 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks Art for this very well done "how-to". I'll try to assemble mine tonight. Dumb question: Can I glue the elements in place on the board and then solder the coax to them and the board ? I'm afraid the elements will unsolder from the board if I heat them again to solder the coax wires. Also, the board is only there as a support mean right ?
I haven't had any trouble with them de-soldering, they are much bigger and you are soldering the coax on to the side/top away from the solder on the perf-board. I don't think it matters if you glue them but heat could make the glue debond as well. You could clamp them in place with an alligator clip, or clothespin, etc. BTW, CA is conductive. Also did you notice I cut the perf-board down to about the size of a postage stamp?
Mar 23, 2011, 09:32 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland
I haven't had any trouble with them de-soldering, they are much bigger and you are soldering the coax on to the side/top away from the solder on the perf-board. I don't think it matters if you glue them but heat could make the glue debond as well. You could clamp them in place with an alligator clip, or clothespin, etc. BTW, CA is conductive. Also did you notice I cut the perf-board down to about the size of a postage stamp?
Humm, looks like you are a lot better tech than me Cut to smaller size than what you sent me, so this means I can cut mine to size ? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just don't want to mess it up
Mar 23, 2011, 09:34 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Madmike8, are you trying your stuff soon ? I'd like to see what your up too ! And be prepared to get hooked solid on FPV, it is very addictive.

Quick Reply