Jan 12, 2011, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters
Oh, ouch! The new wing and airframe sounds like a good plan then. Have fun with brushless and custom paint. I have 1S brushless which works like stock (but is completely reliable) and you can also get 2S and go nuts!
What's your brushless setup?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2011, 02:21 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5
What's your brushless setup?
I've got an AP05 motor with an XP3A ESC and a GWS 5043 prop. It all behaves like stock but has a much nicer sound. If I put in an XP7A ESC and a diode I can feed 2S to the same motor and the plane will go nuts but it weighs more because the battery size has basically doubled.
Last edited by jdwolters; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Jan 13, 2011, 06:53 PM
Quote:
I've got an AP05 motor with an XP3A ESC and a GWS 5043 prop. It all behaves like stock but has a much nicer sound. If I put in an XP7A ESC and a diode I can feed 2S to the same motor and the plane will go nuts but it weighs more because the battery size has basically doubled.
Perfect! Just the setup I was going to buy. Once the mustang motor dies(any time now...) the mustang will go BL!
Jan 13, 2011, 08:25 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
yeah but nuts fast ..

i have thought of just putting a HK 5g outrunner in the nose.
It would just fit with some serious sujury .
slap a diod on my stripped down plush esc's bec .. and away we go .
i pushed my 109g um jet arround just fine(same wingspan, 3/4 of same area ).. ( except my piloting skils and only having the CG perfect like 6 times . lol )
Jan 14, 2011, 12:03 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Perfect! Just the setup I was going to buy. Once the mustang motor dies(any time now...) the mustang will go BL!
Good deal. I love the brushless setup. If you go with the XP7A you can plug in either a small, light 1S battery, or a heavy 2S depending if you feel like scale flight or wild tricks. Btw, the GWS 4540 prop works about the same if you want a more scale look;the 5043 blades a little fat. I stuck with the 5043 because the plane cruises at a lower rpm and I liked the sound better.
Jan 14, 2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Good deal. I love the brushless setup. If you go with the XP7A you can plug in either a small, light 1S battery, or a heavy 2S depending if you feel like scale flight or wild tricks. Btw, the GWS 4540 prop works about the same if you want a more scale look;the 5043 blades a little fat. I stuck with the 5043 because the plane cruises at a lower rpm and I liked the sound better.
Does the 5043 and the 4540 has the same power?
Jan 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
Blah, mission aborted. The clouds were so low! Some were at 100ft and others were at 1300ft! But it started to get windy, right after I took off. 10mph wind is not the ideal mustang flight conditions. The wind pounded on the mustang and it barely flew over 200ft, then it slowly dropped. Pictures coming soon.
Jan 14, 2011, 02:10 PM
The mustang flew 302ft away(I couldn't get an over head shot, since the wind was too strong.)
Name: micro mustang picture test.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 16.7 KB
Description: 302ft awayName: distance flight test 3.jpg
Views: 115
Size: 8.9 KB
Description: 247ft away

Name: Distance flight test 2.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 9.4 KB
Description: 226ft awayName: Distance flight recon test.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 10.0 KB
Description: Find the mustang!
Jan 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Where is your bird? All I see is clouds. haha
Jan 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
Where is your bird? All I see is clouds. haha
If you look closely, you will see a tiny dot. The first photo has a little orange circle around the mustang. The rest of the photos, the mustang is aorund the center. The gray dot is the mustang. That was around 196ft high says the calculator. I think the measurement was a bit off. I'll see if I can get higher and shoot a picture from over head. Taking pictures while flying isn't that hard. But launching the mustang+timing it+ holding the camera can be a problem. Now I have a 2nd way to comfirm the estimate of altitude.
Jan 14, 2011, 03:39 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Ahhh, I see said the blind man.
Jan 14, 2011, 03:49 PM
I got the altitude measurement. It is 93ft above the ground. The mustang flew farther away than I thought. So those tall trees are pretty tall. The wind was blowing my mustang towards them, it got pretty close. So I would esitmate the tree to be around 70~80ft. Waiting for the wind to die down...
Jan 15, 2011, 02:35 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Quote:
Does the 5043 and the 4540 has the same power?
As far as I can tell they have the same power; just the rpm's are different. For 2S HK recommends a 5030 but with 1S it just barely keeps the plane in the air. The 4540 is probably best for 1S but I'm using the 5043 anyway because I like the sound of the lower rpm's even though the motor does slow down when going uphill (so it is a little too much prop).

The AP05 came with a prop saver so it was easy to switch props around. Once I picked ny favorite I got some of those smal wood plug adapters so I could remove the prop saver and get a spinner back on.
Jan 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
As far as I can tell they have the same power; just the rpm's are different. For 2S HK recommends a 5030 but with 1S it just barely keeps the plane in the air. The 4540 is probably best for 1S but I'm using the 5043 anyway because I like the sound of the lower rpm's even though the motor does slow down when going uphill (so it is a little too much prop).

The AP05 came with a prop saver so it was easy to switch props around. Once I picked ny favorite I got some of those smal wood plug adapters so I could remove the prop saver and get a spinner back on.
I'll get them both. Since they are only $0.65 from wholesaletrains.com.
Jan 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
2nd altitude flight. Clear afternoon, the wind died down enough so the mustang could actually climb. After the 3rd picture pass, the mustang disappeared!!!The silver paint blends really well with the blue sky. I spinned downwards and caught the mustang before it went over to the neighborhood. I need a camera man.
Name: 715ft.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 6.5 KB
Description: 715ft highest so far. Overhead flight without streamer. 10 megapixel camera, no zoom(its kinda hard to zoom while controlling the airplane+ it would be inacurate) Name: 544ft.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 6.6 KB
Description: 544ft 2nd place, no streamer (the mustang has a small orange circle around it.

Quick Reply