Feb 20, 2003, 05:35 PM
Thread OP

V1 Buzz-bomb for s-400

Is there any interest out there for a V1 buzz bomb in 1/9 scale for s-400?

I'm building one for me starting next week (lazer cut, as I am one lazy scratch-builder). It should build very quickly, as the parts count is quite low, and it is a very simple structure.

About 170 sq in, Sig Kaydet airfoil, elevons, and I'm working on a simulated explosion system.

Ron Daniels
Last edited by Ron Daniels; Feb 20, 2003 at 05:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2003, 06:52 PM
I sure would
Randy
Feb 20, 2003, 07:26 PM
D.G.B.
Ron is this your design? There is one in the U.K. flying and I was trying to get the plans from traplet last year.They dropped it from a 100" heinkel HE111 .I'm trying to remember if it was a EDF or r/c just glided to earth.I'll try to find the articale.stefanP
Latest blog entry: phasor 15-4 old skool
Feb 20, 2003, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
This is one of mine.

I drew it up the other day, and e-mailed the parts files to Trillium last night. I will get my parts next week.

Ron
Feb 20, 2003, 11:45 PM
Kool Project

Now don't be flying one near any Old folks Homes
Feb 21, 2003, 12:26 AM
You might want to modify those plans a little bit... I just watched a program on the History Channel a couple of nights ago on "The Japanese and German Suicide Pilots of WWII".

They showed an interesting German-designed V-1 with a cockpit just under the inlet of the pulse-jet (gotta imagine that the pilots would have been stone deaf long before they got up to altitute to attack the B-17 fleets!)

Might be a more interesting design to develop.....
Feb 21, 2003, 04:47 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
Tim

The manned version of the doodle bug was Fiesler Fi103R- Reichenberg as featured here

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...y_fiesler.html

There was a film on the TV the other day here where Hanna Reitsch flew a manned V1 at Peenemunde to sort out some stability problems in the design prior to them being used against London.

Brian
Feb 21, 2003, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
That's how I understood it too.

Once they were actually sure that the thing flew, they no longer needed a human on board.

Ron
Feb 21, 2003, 07:49 PM
Danger! Danger!
I would definitly be interested in a V-1... but more as an EDF or rocket powered plane rather than a S400 proped plane.

-Frank
Feb 22, 2003, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
At this scale, I think the diameter of the jet is too small (~1 1/2") for practical EDF, as any motor with enough power would pretty much block the duct.

You could build at a larger scale for dyna-jet, but I don't think e-flyers would want you flying that at their meet. I also don't know what you'd use to catch it, if you wanted to simulate and interception. Dyna-jets are NOT slow!

Now mounting a rocket motor in the tube and rocket launching the plane from a rail prior to a s-400 powered cruise does definitely hold some interest.

I think I'd want to test-fly it more conventionally first before trying this, though.

Ron
Last edited by Ron Daniels; Feb 22, 2003 at 12:14 AM.
Feb 22, 2003, 12:33 AM
Gravity sucks.
Ron, Check out "Operation Crossbow" with George Peppard.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...roduct-details

I think this is the movie Brian is speaking of.. Not too bad either, other than the goofy plot to bomb the US with Rockets.....a bit of a stretch, but a decent flick with lots of Buzz-Bomb action.They show a Spit tipping one off course, which you Tempest would be good for!

Mark
Feb 22, 2003, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Hi Mark,

Try this site for actual footage of Tempests attacking V1's during WWII. The Hawker Tempest Page

No sound, but incredible movies none the less.

The explosion that happened after one got hit by cannon was really quite incredible. Very dangerous line of work....

I'm leaning more towards a safer type of explosion for the model.

Ron
Feb 22, 2003, 05:46 PM
Takka-Takka-Takka
There was a free plan for a 40" span rocket powered V1 in Flying Scale Models January 1999, designed by Nigel Hawes.

I never saw this fly but Nigel's earlier Okha Japanese rocket -powered suicide bomb built along the same lines worked very well when I saw it fly at Woodvale. This was aerotowed to altitude, glided down for a speed run parallel to the runway at about 10-15' altitude before hitting the rocket firing button and accelerating in a huge parabolic arc back up fo altitude again- most impressive.

You're planning to use elevons on the tail Ron? That's an excellent idea and saves all those debates on how the V1 was able to control it's roll without ailerons or dihedral.

On your explosion simulation you do realise that for full authenticity you have to have the lead-in of a huge dance band playing a diminuendo section of In The Mood to a background crescendo of pulse jet "burps", followed by deathly silence, a ghostly whistle- then your big explosion- and back to the big finale with Glenn and the boys. Should be great

Brian
Feb 22, 2003, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
Will a s-400 pull the entire Glenn Miller orchestra into the air?

Yes, elevons are the plan. I don't think guys will be over-powering this one and using it for 3-D aerobatics....

Hopefully, it will be controllable enough to fly and land safely. If not, I may as well use black powder and a rocket igniter for the "simulated" explosion

Ron
Last edited by Ron Daniels; Feb 22, 2003 at 08:30 PM.
Mar 01, 2003, 03:47 AM
Thread OP

The lazer cut parts arrived tonight, ahead of schedule. So far, every part has fit perfectly except for 1. The pre-cut 1/64 ply sheeting for the cone section of the pulse-jet needs to be lengthened about 3/16".

I started working at 11 PM, and did about 3 hrs work/photo taking/admiring before heading for bed. This is how far along it was at bed time.

I have a thread going over in the open section.

Ron Daniels
Last edited by Ron Daniels; Mar 01, 2003 at 03:50 AM.

Quick Reply