May 14, 2021, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Long Island Silent Flyers F5J US Tour 7/31/21-8/1/21

Please join our first US tour F5J competition July 31- Aug 1. We have a beautifully manicured, flat grass field dedicated toward flying RC gliders surrounded by Stillwell Woods Park. Our field is about 18 miles east of Manhattan with many restaurants and hotels nearby

This is an F5J USA(http://www.f5j-usa.com/) Tour and Eastern Soaring League(http://flyesl.org/) event and will be conducted in accordance with USA Tour rules and guidelines, and FAI F5J rules.

• Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5J limiter.
• Currently approved limiters are listed here(http://www.f5j-usa.com/fai-f5j-altimeters/).
• Per USA Tour rules motor restarts will be allowed but will result in a zero flight
• Field open for fun flying and warm-ups on Friday, July 30, 2021
• F5J tasks on Saturday and Sunday, July 31-Aug 1, scored as one continuous event
• Participants can choose to fly for a single day, but final results are based on two days of flying
• Awards for 1-3 places in Expert class and 1 -3 places in Sportsman class
• Entry fee $50, $25 for single day
• No lunch will be provided (due to C19 issues)
• Pilots meeting 8:30 am Saturday and Sunday
• Flying and awards to be done between 2:30 and 3:00 pm on Sunday
• Registration now open on ESL http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=356
Last edited by Dimman22; May 22, 2021 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Error
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2021, 03:14 PM
I don't fly ALES, but I was planning to fly the F5J event. Where is the registration for it?

The F5J Tour Calendar shows "Details coming" and the ESL website only shows "Registration is not yet available, the date is tentative"

Lenny
May 14, 2021, 06:30 PM
Service Engine Soon
I also would like to go to this F5J contest! I would get away from using ESL for registration due to giderscore requires everyone's e-mail.

F3X events is better and will list e-mail. I hate to be critical but F5J is quickly becoming very popular. There are 25pilots registered for House mountain and it's just their third year. You need to have a real spark plug to take charge. links to the field, pictures of the field, locations of motels, also that someone to be very knowledgeable to run the contest that we can all count on. It's a long way to travel and expensive, there is this expect standard with tour contest. If you want more pilots and more than just the norm ESL guys then you have to become active talk it up on groups. To just post now and then doesn't work pilots will go to more of a professional well-run contest every time. Do you have anyone local that is the club that could take this on?
I am not volunteering just yet but really would love to see more F5J contests on the east coast.
Last edited by Brady Baggs; May 14, 2021 at 07:22 PM.
May 14, 2021, 06:46 PM
Service Engine Soon

example

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-June-5-6-2021
May 15, 2021, 01:47 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Hi David,
The Tour has a May newsletter that will be coming out soon. That is one way to help get the word out about your event. I'll send you an email so I can get more info from you.

I know this is your first F5J USA Tour event so you have a lot on your plate! Maybe we can do a call soon so I can share some hints on running your event, using GliderScore, smartphone scoring, etc.

Take care,
Chris (for the F5J USA Tour)
May 15, 2021, 08:50 AM
This is only House Mountains second year. First event was 2020. 😎
May 17, 2021, 06:25 AM
Thread OP
Sorry Lenny. I am new at this. I will work to allow you to register via F3X as Brady suggested- got to figure out how. Stay tuned.

David
May 17, 2021, 06:46 AM
Thread OP
Hi Brady. Thank you for your advice. Working on registering via F3X so you can register. I have CD’ed several TD and ALES competitions for the ESL using Gliderscore but you’re right; F5J is getting popular and being a US tour event will attract more people. I posted a few pictures above from my flying session yesterday. I will list hotels/motels in the area as well. I have been to several F5J events to see how it’s run. I will be in Rhode Island this weekend to RISC F5J with Maarten Broess and David Beach then F5J in Delaware in early June. I will try to learn as much as I can from them as I did from your contest. I will also speak to Chris Bajorek this week and get some tips. Look forward to flying with you soon!

David Immanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
I also would like to go to this F5J contest! I would get away from using ESL for registration due to giderscore requires everyone's e-mail.

F3X events is better and will list e-mail. I hate to be critical but F5J is quickly becoming very popular. There are 25pilots registered for House mountain and it's just their third year. You need to have a real spark plug to take charge. links to the field, pictures of the field, locations of motels, also that someone to be very knowledgeable to run the contest that we can all count on. It's a long way to travel and expensive, there is this expect standard with tour contest. If you want more pilots and more than just the norm ESL guys then you have to become active talk it up on groups. To just post now and then doesn't work pilots will go to more of a professional well-run contest every time. Do you have anyone local that is the club that could take this on?
I am not volunteering just yet but really would love to see more F5J contests on the east coast.
May 22, 2021, 05:48 AM
Thread OP

Registration open!

Lenny and Brady, you can now register! Brady, I am more familiar with the ESL website so I decided to use it for registration. Chris Bajorek said it was fine. I will get your emails when you check in at the field.

http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=356
May 22, 2021, 07:10 AM
Service Engine Soon
I will plan to go never been to Long Island contest before looks like a great field. If you run into a real bind I can bring our sound system MP3 player just like what I did at the BRASS contest. My Son won't make it this time so you are on your own for scoring.
May 22, 2021, 11:13 AM
Service Engine Soon
Here is the club website. https://www.lisf.org/
Google maps of the field. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8325.../data=!3m1!1e3

Hotels look nearby not crazy expensive either. Any sujestions?
May 23, 2021, 04:08 PM
Traveling with Brady. The field looks really good. Need to get a bunch more signed up.

Dick
May 24, 2021, 06:18 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Dick. I look forward to the challenge of flying with you and Brady at our field. I just opened registration at the the ESL website (link above).

David
May 24, 2021, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
For Hotels/Motels: do a search for hotels/motels in Woodbury or Syosset area (field is in between). Long Island rates are expensive but there are affordable options available: eg. Days Inn, Woodbury $118, Days Inn Hicksville, $101, Comfort Inn Syosset, $155 (current price)
May 28, 2021, 04:33 PM
Should be a great event. It’s a beautiful field and a nice club. I’ll be commuting from Jersey but let me know if we do a dinner on Saturday, I’m down.

Quick Reply