Aug 24, 2020, 09:27 AM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Contest

SKSS -- Blue Hen ALES Challenge

Silent Knight Soaring Society (SKSS)
Blue Hen ALES Challenge
September 19th & 20th, 2020

Come join us September 19th & 20th for the seventh annual Blue Hen ALES Challenge in Newark, Delaware! As always, the contest will be held at the beautiful and immaculately-maintained SKSS flying field in Delaware's White Clay Creek State Park, located less than ten minutes from the center of Newark.

This is a tough year for soaring contests, but we're going to hold our contest anyway. We'll be observing social distancing and mask protocols, and each pilot is responsible for knowing and observing any travel/quarantine restrictions being imposed between Delaware and his home state.

Novice pilots: Novice pilots are welcome and can fly for free! (A Novice pilot is someone who has competed in no more than one previous electric soaring contest.) If you've never competed, bring an electric sailplane and have some fun! If you don't have an altitude limiter, we'll have a spare for you to borrow.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded for 1st through 3rd place in Expert and Sportsman classes each day. There will be a "Grand Champion" award for the weekend as well.

Flying: Flight groups will be man-on-man (non-seeded). Launch height and flight time will be at the CD's discretion each day. Unless conditions are extremely bad, we will launch to 150 meters and fly 10 minute rounds. Landing tapes are 5 meters long.

Food: Lunch will be provided both days. A small donation is requested for each meal.

Camping: Camping is allowed for a small fee. No open fires or alcohol are permitted in the park. The field has a port-a-potty, but there are no other facilities or hook-ups.

Lodging: Most hotels and restaurants in the Newark area are open. Masks are required.

Fee summary:
Contest: $25 for one day, $45 for two days; novices fly free
Camping: $25 per tent or RV for the entire weekend
Lunch: a small donation is requested each day
Field access: The state park is very particular about field access. There is a free-swinging gate across the access road to the field that MUST REMAIN CLOSED. To get to/from the field, (1) stop at the gate; (2) get out and push the gate open; (3) drive through the gate and stop; (4) get out and close the gate; and (5) proceed VERY SLOWLY to the field. We're not thrilled about the rule, but we have to conform to it. Please do the same. And, once again, PLEASE drive VERY slowly on the access road -- the Park regards it as a hiking trail, not a road.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2020, 09:58 AM
Hi Walt,

I'm going to try to make it down either Saturday or Sunday. Hope to see you guys!!

Dave R.
Aug 27, 2020, 11:03 AM
ET
Here's how to negotiate the gate. Which includes a link on where to enter White Clay Creek State Park to find our field.
Last edited by eteet; Aug 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM.
Aug 27, 2020, 05:33 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
All,
Its been a rough year with all thats going on, and we are all looking forward to a successful event in a few weeks.
Reading about all the successful events held throughout the country assures us we can do the same. Be smart, be safe!

Tony
Sep 06, 2020, 12:21 PM
ET
September 19th is coming. Time to sign up!

Weather is likely to be spectacular and the field has never looked better.
Sep 16, 2020, 11:50 AM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP

Three days to go...

...and the weekend weather is looking dry, cool, and breezy. Expect some bumpy conditions and fast-moving thermals.

The field is available for practice on Friday -- the gate is unlocked and open. Rain is forecast on Thursday night, so the field may be wet on Friday morning. I'll be there by mid-morning to set up the scoring tent and boundary flags and so forth.

Because attendance is (understandably) a little low this year, we are eschewing the usual home-cooked lunch. (Yes, that was a horrible pun.) Instead, we'll be ordering pizzas both days.

See you this weekend!

-- Walt
Sep 16, 2020, 02:44 PM
Walt, wife only gave me clearance for Saturday. I have an extra CAM for our use. Given the probable attendance I doubt we’ll need it but you never know.

Joon
Sep 16, 2020, 10:53 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
Walt, wife only gave me clearance for Saturday. I have an extra CAM for our use. Given the probable attendance I doubt we’ll need it but you never know.

Joon
Hey, Joon. Saturday-only is fine; we're just glad you can come either day. It has been a rough year for soaring contests. And please bring the CAM -- maybe we'll entice a novice or two to compete!

See you Saturday!

-- Walt
Sep 18, 2020, 05:35 PM
ET
The field looks amazing. I'm looking forward to the weekend!
Sep 18, 2020, 07:38 PM
You guys are lucky. It’s a great field. See everyone tomorrow. My wife has already given me notice, so I’ll be vapor after the last round, LOL!
Sep 19, 2020, 06:07 PM
Any scores?
Sep 19, 2020, 07:52 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
Any scores?
Attached. We managed to fly nine rounds today, but will probably only fly six or seven tomorrow.

We had beautiful clear weather, but LOTS of wind and lots of turbulence, especially in the morning. The wind calmed down in the 7th or 8th round. Everybody seemed to have a good time, except for one hapless schlub who managed to put his plane in the top of a 50-foot tree.
Sep 20, 2020, 06:33 PM

Much Fun

I want to thank Walt, Eric and the entire SKSS crew for putting on a fun contest. Challenging conditions at times. Hope we get to do it again soon. I have some photos which I will post as time allows...

Anatol
Sep 20, 2020, 07:10 PM
Thank you SKSS. Walter I hope your model is okay. Tough conditions sometimes. We were all surfing trees at one point. I met some new people and had a great time.

Joon

Quick Reply