Jul 11, 2019, 06:53 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Contest

2019 SKSS Blue Hen ALES Challenge

Silent Knight Soaring Society (SKSS)
Blue Hen ALES Challenge
September 21st & 22nd, 2019

Come join us September 21st & 22nd for the sixth annual Blue Hen ALES Challenge in Newark, Delaware! The contest will be held at the beautiful and immaculately-maintained SKSS flying field in Delaware's White Clay Creek State Park, located less than ten minutes from the center of Newark.

Novice pilots: Novice pilots are welcome and can fly for free! (A Novice pilot is someone who has competed in no more than one previous electric soaring contest.) If you've never competed, bring an electric sailplane and have some fun! If you don't have an altitude limiter, we'll have a spare for you to borrow.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded for 1st through 3rd place in Expert and Sportsman classes each day. There will be a "Grand Champion" award for the weekend as well.

Flying: Flight groups will be man-on-man (non-seeded). Launch height and flight time will be at the CD's discretion each day. Unless conditions are extremely bad, we will launch to 150 meters and fly 10 minute rounds. Landing tapes are 5 meters long.

Food: Lunch will be provided both days. A small donation is requested for each meal.

Camping: Camping will be allowed for a small fee. No open fires or alcohol are permitted in the park. The field has a port-a-potty, but there are no other facilities or hook-ups.

Lodging: As a college town, Newark has a lot of motels. There is a football game scheduled for Saturday, so you may not want to wait until the last minute if you're booking a room.

Other amenities: Newark suffers from an embarrassment of restaurants and bars. The Deer Park Tavern, Home Grown Cafe, Grain Craft Bar, Iron Hill Brewery, and Klondike Kate's are just a few of the delightful establishments awaiting your patronage. And if the two miles to Newark's Main Street is too far for you to drive, McGlynn's pub is only a mile from the field.

Fee summary:
Contest: $25 for one day, $45 for two days; novices fly free
Camping: $25 per tent or RV for the entire weekend
Lunch: a small donation is requested
Field access: The state park is very particular about field access. There is a free-swinging gate across the access road to the field that MUST REMAIN CLOSED. To get to/from the field, (1) stop at the gate; (2) get out and push the gate open; (3) drive through the gate and stop; (4) get out and close the gate; and (5) proceed to the field. We're not thrilled about the rule, but we have to conform to it. Please do the same.
Last edited by leipold; Aug 08, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 06:55 PM
ET
I'm in. This is always a great contest.
Jul 14, 2019, 07:11 PM
Thermal Hunter
Signed up and Ready !!
Jul 15, 2019, 06:16 PM
Goog-a-moog-a
Ditto..registered and ready to rock
Jul 26, 2019, 01:09 PM
Goog-a-moog-a
Still trying to find my limiter from last years contest. Just in case it doesn't turn up, will there be any available to use for the contest?
Jul 27, 2019, 10:30 AM
ET
I have one you can rent, er, I mean use.

Eric
Jul 27, 2019, 01:57 PM
Goog-a-moog-a
Quote:
Originally Posted by eteet
I have one you can rent, er, I mean use.

Eric
That's not the one that only goes to 50 feet
Jul 27, 2019, 07:31 PM
ET
Quote:
Originally Posted by planefun
That's not the one that only goes to 50 feet
Um... I don't think so.
Jul 27, 2019, 08:27 PM
Tony,

Did your K3600 land yet?

Dave R.
Jul 29, 2019, 12:54 PM
Goog-a-moog-a
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
Tony,

Did your K3600 land yet?

Dave R.
No Dave. Still nesting. I was thinking of sending a balloon up with a string, or maybe a trained monkey that works for bananas.
It did move a little.

Tony G
Aug 04, 2019, 04:36 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Aug 19, 2019, 07:53 AM
Where are fellow pilots staying.

Ray
Aug 19, 2019, 11:06 AM
ET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymey
Where are fellow pilots staying.

Ray
Motels near Newark.

I'm local so I don't know were most guys are staying but if it was me I'd choose the Super 8 Newark. It's only 6 minutes from the field and right on main street Newark. Near restaurants and, um, bars.

The Super 8 hasn't gotten such great reviews for comfort but for a night or two I think it's fine. No bedbugs were found!
Last edited by eteet; Aug 19, 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Sep 07, 2019, 06:54 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Bumping this thread. The contest is only two weeks away. Autumn weather is here, and the SKSS field is looking good. Tell your friends to sign up!

-- Walt
Sep 12, 2019, 06:33 AM
Is the field accessible Friday and can a canopy be set up?

Quick Reply