De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Contest

2017 SKSS Blue Hen ALES Challenge

Silent Knight Soaring Society (SKSS)
Blue Hen ALES Challenge
Newark, Delaware
September 16th & 17th, 2017

Come join us September 16th & 17th for the fourth annual Blue Hen ALES Challenge in Newark, Delaware! The contest will be held at the beautiful and recently-renovated SKSS flying field in Delaware's White Clay Creek State Park, located less than ten minutes from the center of Newark.

Novice pilots: Novice pilots are welcome and can fly for free! (A Novice pilot is someone who has competed in no more than one previous electric soaring contest.) If you've never competed, bring an electric sailplane and have some fun! If you don't have an altitude limiter, we'll have a spare or two for you to borrow.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded for 1st through 5th place plus "Best Foamie" each day, and there will be a "Grand Champion" award for the weekend.

Flying: Flight groups will be man-on-man (non-seeded). Launch height and flight time will be at the CD's discretion each day. Unless conditions are extremely bad, we will launch to 150 meters and fly 10 minute rounds. Landing tapes are 5 meters long, 50 points max.

Food: Lunch will be provided both days. A small donation will be requested for each meal.

Camping: Camping will be allowed for a small fee. No open fires or alcohol are permitted in the park. The field has a port-a-potty, but there are no other facilities or hook-ups. (But if you have a really long extension cord, you can charge batteries from the clubhouse.)

Parking: The state park imposes a daily parking fee, which we will collect at registration. Parking is per vehicle, not per visitor, so you can save money by carpooling.

Location: The field is on Smith Mill Road in White Clay Creek State Park. Field lat/long for your GPS is (39.728124,-75.732973).

Lodging: As a college town, Newark has a lot of motels. There is a football game (UDel vs Cornell) on the contest weekend, but there should still be ample lodging.

Other amenities: Newark suffers from an embarrassment of restaurants and bars. The Deer Park Tavern, Home Grown Cafe, Grain Craft Bar, Iron Hill Brewery, and Klondike Kate's are just a few of the delightful establishments awaiting your patronage. And if the two miles to Newark's Main Street is too far for you to drive, McGlynn's Pub is only a mile from the field.

Fee summary:
Contest: $35 for two days, $20 for one day; novices fly free
Camping: $30 per tent or RV for the entire weekend
Parking: $8/day for each out-of-state vehicle, $6 for in-state
Lunch: a small donation is requested
Last edited by leipold; Sep 05, 2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2017, 08:56 PM
SKSS Delaware AMA 1010092
Food, we will be doing lunch each day, remember most of the donations for food go to keep the grass cut.

I'm planning on having for lunch
Pulled BBQ pork sandwiches
Lightly pulled rotisserie Chicken (some bones), sauce on the side
Hot & Sweet Sausages with rolls
Hot Dogs
Hot Veggies: Corn, Green Beans, Broccoli
Baked Beans
Potato & Macaroni Salad
other stuff, onion, tomato, bags of chips, etc..
sodas
and of course all the cold bottled water you can drink during the event.

See you there
Ed
Jun 27, 2017, 05:22 AM
Thermal Hunter

Oh Yea....

Signed Up and Ready to Rock !!

Jim
Aug 07, 2017, 05:23 AM
Model Flight Addict
I'm in! :-)

-Ray
Aug 12, 2017, 02:27 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
Looking forward to another great contest at the SKSS field!
Contest updates will be posted here as well as on our Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/SKSSRC/

Tony
Aug 17, 2017, 03:55 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP

Bump

Only about 4 weeks to go. Trophies are here, and so are the new landing tapes (5 meters like the old ones, but much nicer).

We have 25 pilots signed up so far, but it's a big field and there's room for lots more. Visit the ESL site to register.

See you in September...

-- Walt
Aug 28, 2017, 10:16 AM
ET
Hey Guys,

This going to be a great year for our ALES contest. The field looks FANTASTIC and the weather is trending towards GREAT.

The club is also having an open house the Sunday before the contest and all are welcome to come visit and fly.

Eric
Sep 05, 2017, 08:57 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP

Rules clarification

Hey, everybody. Only ten days left before the contest.

The AMA ALES rules changed a little in this year's competition rulebook, and we're going to adopt them and see how they play out. I thought I'd mention the changes now, rather than wait until the pilot's meeting Saturday morning.

1) No flight stabilization systems (AS3X or whatever) are allowed.

2) Skegs are allowed.

3) Vario/altitude telemetry is permitted, but you may be mocked for using it. Also, if you use a vario, use an earbud or headphones -- the other pilots may not appreciate that "vario sound".

One AMA rule that we are NOT following is the 75-meter-radius landing circle (partly becaue of tradition, and partly because we don't have a rangefinder, but mostly because of the shape of our field) . A roughly-equivalent landing area will be marked out with flags, just as in prior years.

I'll cover all these points again, as well as the usual stuff, at the pilot's meeting.

-- Walt
Last edited by leipold; Sep 06, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Sep 06, 2017, 08:29 PM
Walt,

There is one more new rule that I suggest you adopt. This year either the pilot or their timer may contact the plane on landing and still earn flight points (no landing points). The intent of the rule is to encourage timers to prevent an accident by doing what they can to stop anyone else from being hit by a bad landing attempt.

If anyone other than the pilot or timer are hit no flight or landing points are earned.

David
Sep 07, 2017, 02:51 AM
ET
Deleted. Off topic. Sorry 'bout that.
Last edited by eteet; Sep 08, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
Sep 07, 2017, 01:36 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach
There is one more new rule that I suggest you adopt. This year either the pilot or their timer may contact the plane on landing and still earn flight points (no landing points). The intent of the rule is to encourage timers to prevent an accident by doing what they can to stop anyone else from being hit by a bad landing attempt.

If anyone other than the pilot or timer are hit no flight or landing points are earned.
David:

We actually used that rule last year, and I'll be using it again this year. As you say, it's all about safety.

(But the old rule was more fun, when a pilot occasionally had to vault over his skidding plane to save his flight points.)

-- Walt
Sep 09, 2017, 08:53 PM
Rick Roberts
I had a day of landing practice and dialing in the Supra today, tomorrow it's the Ultima.

Looking forward to a great couple days of flying next weekend with you all.

I hope to arrive in the area mid to late afternoon on Friday. Will anyone be at the field Friday.

Rick
Sep 10, 2017, 07:40 AM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwroberts
I had a day of landing practice and dialing in the Supra today, tomorrow it's the Ultima.

Looking forward to a great couple days of flying next weekend with you all.

I hope to arrive in the area mid to late afternoon on Friday. Will anyone be at the field Friday.

Rick
What is this "practice" thing of which you speak? Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong...

I plan to be at the field before 11:00 to unlock gates and do some contesty things. I have to leave by 16:00, but the gates will remain unlocked -- some folks will be camping and we can't lock them in.

-- Walt
Sep 10, 2017, 09:17 PM
Rick Roberts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leipold
What is this "practice" thing of which you speak? Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong...
Practice: I've been doing short drives to Brattleboro preparing for the long 5.5hr drive to Newark. That's all...

See you Friday.

Rick
Sep 14, 2017, 03:40 PM
Still circling in sink...
Rick, depending on how early a start I can manage, maybe I'll see you at the field. We need to figure out this practice thing.

Quick Reply