Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
Idea

enclosed trailer power supply, any ideas?

I didn't know where to post this, so I just put it here, sorry if wrong forum.

How are you guys powering your enclosed trailer? I know its powered by the vehicle when hooked up to the vehicle, but what about when its unhooked? My trailer has a interior light that will turn on only when vehicle park lights are on. Im wondering if somehow I can rig a 12v battery with the same plug as the trailer and plug it up to there when i dont have my vehicle hooked up? Think a car battery or would a Sealed Lead Acid battery work? Note: in addition with my interior light, I think all the exterior trailer LED lights will also be on. Would this matter or be too much draw on a Sealed battery?

Lets see your trailer rigging!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2012, 05:30 PM

I want to see the solution too.

Don
Apr 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
probro 2567
I have a 12v marine battery mounted inside my trailer for charging flight batteries at the field. For lights inside I'm using the same sticky back led's that I use on my night planes. I just ran the wires to my battery and use a couple of alligator clips.

led's - http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...ht-flying.html
Apr 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
for charging my packs at the field, im not too concerned as I already have a wire running from my truck battery to the back where the hitch is, so I just plug up my charger there.

I also use my trailer for hauling my ATV and camping, so im mostly just wanting to know how I can power my interior light without a vehicle attached. As I may be loading it up at night or something.
Apr 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
How about one of those 12v solar trickle chargers connected to a lead-acid battery (completely separate circuit than that of your exterior lights and then run led interiors as previously suggested) such as http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...009608751&mt=b

As long as you're not using the lights everyday all day, you should be set
Last edited by jmd87; Apr 23, 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: url fail
Apr 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
That guy who's flying.
Just wire a 12V SLA in parallel with the main supply. Then put a dual throw switch to select your source. I'd make it up for battery, middle for null, down for truck power. It would light up your running lights too if you need to hook up at night. You could use a single throw, but you'd need to make sure to turn the battery off before hooking up.

A 7.2aH would do nicely if you wanted some decent staying power.
Apr 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
I use the same (deep-cycle marine) battery that I use to power my chargers, inverter, etc. I just wired up a power box on the main harness with a switch that can power the trailer lights from my battery or the regular trailer harness.
..a
Apr 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeF4Fs
Just wire a 12V SLA in parallel with the main supply. Then put a dual throw switch to select your source. I'd make it up for battery, middle for null, down for truck power. It would light up your running lights too if you need to hook up at night. You could use a single throw, but you'd need to make sure to turn the battery off before hooking up.

A 7.2aH would do nicely if you wanted some decent staying power.
I can picture what your saying here. I was thinking about the SLA battery but I was just thinking about plugging it into a battery (not when hauling) instead of the truck for the lights. But I do like your idea on the switch.

So you think the 7.2aH would power the interior light along with all the outside LED lights?? Also, where could I mount the SLA battery??
Apr 24, 2012, 12:38 AM
My motörhome has two deep cycle 12 volt house batteries that will run the heater tv interior lights two evenings out in the desert. My toy is trailer also runs two house batteries. Costco deep cycles are about $85. The bigger motorhomes run 2 or 4 six volt golf cart batteries for house batteries. These are twice as expensive but they have twice the capacity or more. Do as the other post mentioned about using a switch to charge them off your trailer wires. Good luck.
Apr 24, 2012, 02:11 AM
Typically utility trailers come with a dry cell battery to power the brake break-away switch. It is charged via the 12+ lead from the tow vehicle, but is isolated with a diode or resister to limit charging amps.

The trailer's interior lights are then usually powered from the tow vehicle side of that diode- which prevents the lights from running off of the brake battery.

It is pretty easy to install a deep cycle lead acid battery instead. Just remove the diode/resistor. I believe dot requires the break away switch not be fused, but you should use a fuse for the interior lights, or for a power pannel for your airplane charger, or whatever else you want to run.

I also have a 40' toyhauler which I set up with 440 watts of solar on a Mppt type charge controller, and a shunt/trimetric power meter.

I'd like to put solar on my utility trailer, but it wouldn't be that large or sophisticated.

I may put a converter/charger on it, though, to recharge when plugged in to 110 ac.
Apr 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
I use a pair of Golf Cart batteries in series for 12v on my travel trailer. It is charged from the tow vehicle when it is running. This is accomplished through the use of a 12v solenoid that is only activated when the truck is running, thus isolating the trailer when the tow vehicle is not running and the trailer is plugged in. Standard setup for most RVs today, and a very easy thing to do. visit your local RV dealer for more info. Roy
Apr 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
Dual 12v deep cycle marine batteries mounted in the floor. Trailer was custom built by Pace, has on-board charging for the deep cycle batteries and an adapter on the outside of the trailer that connects to 110V AC. Banana plug panels mounted in the walls are connected to the 12V batteries, LiPo battery chargers plug right into the trailer wall. It's sweet.
Apr 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Always Ready!
Why not buy some plexiglass and install some skylights? Then you won't need lights at all unless it's dark outside. But you still need power for charging batteries. I agree a solar trickle charger would keep you topped off. Or a wind generator... Then you would have a built-in wind speed and direction indicator as well
Apr 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
So if a 7.2ah SLA battery will power the interior light and exterior lights, could I not just buy a harness plug (like on my vehicle) figure out which wires are the running lights, and wire a + and a - with banana plug on the other end and plug that into my field box power panel (which has a 7.2ah SLA battery inside) for temporary light use??

would this work?? Like I say I mostly just need the light for night time if im loading the trailer with a vehicle not attached. This would not be long time used at once
Apr 24, 2012, 09:41 PM
I have a small camping trailer. I have a battery mounted on the tongue that powers the trailer lights and outlets. There is also a line that goes from the tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery. This allows the trailer battery to charge as I drive. I have that charging circuit connected through a solenoid so the circuit is opened when the tow vehicle ignition is turned off. I don't want my trailer to ever drain my vehicle battery.

The reason that your cabin light only goes on when your parking lights are on is because it is drawing power from the brown (tail light) power.

If you want to go to a trailer mounted battery, you will need to move from a four circuit plug to a 5 circuit plug.

Here's a few drawings that I made up for my website.

This is just the trailer light wiring.

This is the charging circuit.

These are the trailer circuits. You wouldn't need this many, but having a few lights and a radio might be nice.

You can check out more info about my trailer wiring at: Project Desert Dawg

Joanne

Quick Reply