View Single Post
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Kahnx
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
3,113 Posts
AvB

You need to start looking into getting a bungee. I bought a 50' length of the heavy duty stuff from Southern Sailplanes. I cut it into three equal 17' (5m) lengths, put eyelets into the ends, and heavy duty keyrings. This makes the perfect slingshot bungee for foamies up to 60" (heavy JW). Then cut up a wire coathanger and bend it into a zig-zag with a hook on the end and tape it on a couple of inches back from the nose of the plane. Connect the fixed end to a fencepost/peg/car/statue/etc. On a flatland launch the bungee stretches to about 20-30m and can put any DS plane <2m up to 30-50m into the air. This provides an excellent point from which to start the initial dive into that non-existant-fron-side DS spot.

At amoung other places, I use my sling-shot to launch over a small quarry for some suprisingly effective flat-land DS that would be otherwise inaccessible. I also use it at a well-known DAM (The Rock Garden) on light days, which would otherwise not have enough wind for even front-side, but just enough for endless lazy DS. Need to get out over those pesky trees? - a good sling-shot opens up an otherwise unusuable site.

I have no shame launching with a Bungee at well known sloping events (Camperdown) when everyone else is charging their LiPos (no wind), and it gives beginner pilots a good starting altitude for non-buddy equipped radios on light conditions.

I wouldn't be even mentioning this technique in the big-dogs threads, but for other hack-DSer like me, it's a great little tool.

Cheers

Kahn
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx