View Single Post
Old May 24, 2003, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
FF flight on the HB is definately possible without the head stiffiner mod. But it i sprobably a whloe lot more plesant to do with it.

I am using Hornet FP CF blades with a higher headspeed. I think these blades help a bit as they are not so severely undercambered as the stock blades.

At any rate - I have bee flying mine in FF more and more lately. It takes some gettin used to though. As you increase forward speed, it takes less throttle to maintian altitude. One trick I found is keeping the forward speed constant. It's transitioning from fast to moderate, etc speed than tends to cause problems. I start from about 3' and puch the forward cyclic gently forward until I am at a comfortable speed all the while lowering the throttle. Then it is a matter of trying to maintian this forward speed to avoid any pitch up or dropping. Your thumbs eventually get the hang of where the throttle needs to be in relation to your speed and it starts to come naturally after a while.

Good luck with it. I may build a stiffiner tonight and give it a try tomorrow (weather permitting).

Steve M
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride