Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by atmosteve
Suspended Account
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Holy crap! I never considered that drastic of an effect due to environmental variables. What happens if you build to completion indoors at 75 and 20% RH and then take it to a field that's 98 and 70% RH? Will it even fly? Is it best to build in an average RH environment like a warm (not hot) garage?
Hi dwells I think if the fuse had been at the box stage of completion the effect would not have been as drastic, in this case the sides had a lot more scope for movement without the other panels glued on.

Ray I am trying a new PVA glue for some parts of the build, along with the usual epoxy and CA. Its true that the worst of the twist was at the ply doubler joint. It would have been less severe if I had used the epoxy, but still evident I feel. Almost all the kits components were effected, the forward ply bottom sheet lifted an inch and a half at either end, with a bit of weight and thought they are all coming good.

So, next time I would epoxy the laminated fuse parts to be safe. Yep, keep an eye out for weather extremes when building. True while flying too, back in the days when almost everyone built their own models from kit or scratch, travelling to comps and meets some distance away made us consider the weather very carefully, specially sailplanes, no different from today I guess but now we have top online resources to help us plan.
If you had something quick and precise like a fast pattern ship you would almost definitely have to tweak the trim to compensate for some movement in the timbers due to some changing ground weather.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)