View Single Post
Old Oct 04, 2001, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by TedLarson
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OzMax
And remember it is always polite (and indeed proper) to ask permission to fly oin someone's private property.
I agree with this completely.

In the area where I live, most large plots of open-space land are not privately owned. Around here, if it's a big plot of land, and there aren't houses all over it, or cattle or sheep grazing on it, chances are really high that it's government owned land. I frequently find that good sloping areas are often located in county, or regional parks that I have never heard of before, but that I found out about because I passed a good slope, and drove around to figure out how one could hike up to it.

One of the things I am sadly dismayed about around here is that many of the parks around here that are more well known, that our taxpayer dollars paid for don't allow anything R/C to be used inside their boundaries. Even a glider! One park I know of had a huge, designated kite flying area, but specifically said no R/C allowed. So I called the head ranger up at the park and asked him why they allowed kites and not gliders? I argued that a glider is nothing more than a kite without a string. He agreed, and sent a memo out to the rest of the rangers saying that gliders were now allowed in the park. I am living proof that you can get the rules changed at a park, as easily as making one phone call.

People flying gas planes, or shooting off rockets in parks, causes the ranger districts, and park management to simply ban all R/C models without thinking about the various things that could be ok. So definitely, before you fly anywhere, take the extra time to look into who owns the land, and what the rules are. However, don't be discouraged if you find out it is illegal. If it is, call up the park on the phone, and ask them why it's illegal. Advocate changing the rules. You will often find the rules were set arbitrarily without alot of forethought as to who it would impact.

Hope this helps,

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson