View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by saucerguy
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
What an excellent covering tutorial, very, very good job with it!!! I like solite, but my personal favorite is Ultracoat, the heat required is almost as good as solite, yet since it's thicker, it streatches farther and is easier to handle, I've worked with monocoat before, I don't like the extra heat it takes to apply and shrink down. I think the biggest obstical is to slow down while you are tacking it down, it's easy to move too quickly and not get it properly secured, which will rip loose from the areas tacked while you are trying to get the edges adhered, that and not giving yourself enough overlap.

With the more advanced complex curves, they can be a puzzle to figure out what and where to apply the covering first, I used to piece mine out similar to doing tissue covering and got good results until I heard of a guy that produced a video and in one of the examples, he covered a golf ball, this got me hooked upon how far I can push it with the least amount of pieces. You also tend to look back at each new plane and see how you are progressing, especially when it comes to figuring out how to go about what cut out and areas to pull prior to shrinking on complex curves. You get better the more you use it, and coming from a dope and tissue background, these plastic coverings are a dream to work with!

Again, good job on the turorial, this should be of great help to those not only doing their own kits, but for patching up repairs as well.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy