View Single Post
Old Apr 03, 2008, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
Tim... let me know what you think of reusing the foam for ailerons. I tried that on my first EZ* and it was far too flimsy and worked horrible for me. I noticed some used balsa instead.
John,

I managed to sneak in a maiden flight yesterday without the camera pod. Here's what I found from the one single flight I had, and since you have an EZ* maybe you can give me some tips from your experience...

I certainly have no shortage of power with the motor/prop combo. I think this thing could go faster than my F-27C Stryker!

When I launched, I was right around 1/2 throttle. I tossed it with the nose up just slighly and it easily was on its way. Immediately I noticed that it had a STRONG tendency to nose up. I wound up trimming my elevator as far down as I could. Now here's the strange behavior that I can't totally figure out:

No throttle: glided straight ahead with no tendency to nose up or down. Actually acted like it cold glide forever.

Half throttle: Wanted to nose up. I was constantlly pushing down on the elevator.

Full throttle: Friggin fast! It seems to lose most of its nose-up tendency with full throttle applied. Realize, though, that the elevator was trimmed as far down as it could go.

I'm thinking that the CG may have been too far back. I have to cram the battery all the way up front to get the CG to the recommended location when I don't have the camera pod attached. Maybe my thrust line is off a little. I should be set at the same angle as the stock motor, but my motor is just a tad higher so maybe I need a little more down thrust. Actually, when I think about it, down thrust behind the CG could cause it to nose up even more. I guess I'll work the CG first.

Ailerons: They seemed fine at cruising or fast speeds, although not as effective as other planes I have. At slow speeds they were completely innefective. I have to remember that this isn't a "performance" plane... I'll increase the throw for the next flight.

I was going to fly it with the video pod to test it out, but I managed to break one of the plastic clips that hold the canopy/EZpod on. I should have heeded the warnings on how weak they are. I just caught it with a servo wire and it was broken before I even realized I was snagged.

So...I'll fool around a bit with the CG and the throws and hopefully be able to get in a better flight some time in the next week...or two...or three. Darned kids, work, wife, and house projects (not in any particular order!).
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor