View Single Post
Old Mar 08, 2008, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by typicalaimster
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
In the first pic that Typicalaimster posted, you can see the concept demonstrated on his wings
I'll have to bookmark that site!

I cut out a rib template for E193 or whatever the airfoil was. I marked on the wing where the upper and lower's of the wing was located. I then drew a line connecting the dots. After that I used a soldering gun to melt a groove in the wing. I then epoxied the rod into place. As final prep I did a minwax and glass covering over the wing.. Did the whole fill and sand thing with light weight filler. Then did the El-Cheepo paint job.

I ended up gluing the rib template to the wing. I figured it would allow me to square it off to the fuse. When I noticed I screwed everything up I figured I'd bust the wings apart. With the CF rod in place plus the Glass/Minwax the plane can take a beating.

Thing is after everything was said and done the plane weighed about as much as a balsa plane. I find balsa and laser cutting a bit easier to work with. I ended up going that route instead. Granted I probably went a bit overkill with things. However I've had issues with foam planes coming apart.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster