Originally Posted by rob10000
In the first pic that Typicalaimster posted, you can see the concept demonstrated on his wings
I'll have to bookmark that site!
I cut out a rib template for E193 or whatever the airfoil was. I marked on the wing where the upper and lower's of the wing was located. I then drew a line connecting the dots. After that I used a soldering gun to melt a groove in the wing. I then epoxied the rod into place. As final prep I did a minwax and glass covering over the wing.. Did the whole fill and sand thing with light weight filler. Then did the El-Cheepo paint job.
I ended up gluing the rib template to the wing. I figured it would allow me to square it off to the fuse. When I noticed I screwed everything up I figured I'd bust the wings apart. With the CF rod in place plus the Glass/Minwax the plane can take a beating.
Thing is after everything was said and done the plane weighed about as much as a balsa plane. I find balsa and laser cutting a bit easier to work with. I ended up going that route instead. Granted I probably went a bit overkill with things. However I've had issues with foam planes coming apart.