View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Phil G
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
I've only been up in a small plane once and other than trying not to puke it was fun!

This was years ago and the plane was a Cessna 152 where a friend-of-a-friend was taking lessons. He had soloed a few weeks prior and was working on his hours.

I love airplanes (my Granddad built B-29s) but I HATE riding in them! Every flight I've ever taken in a commercial plane has been "uncomfortable". I've never actually had to use the bag, but I've come close! We're talking L-1011s, 727s and the like (never been on a 747). Couple BC130s thrown in for spice...

Dramamine helps, but not much. Tried the rubberband thing, nada. Don't fly often enough to pay for one of the electronic thingies...

Anyway, my friend and I hopped in my V8 Monza (sweet little car, quick-like-a-bunny) and did a little "low flying" to the little airport about 20 miles away.

The closer we got to the airport the foggier it got. By the time we got there visibility was something like 50' tops. Ceiling Zero.

Tooled down the driveway and parked. No sign of his friend (or anybody else). So we sat there. And sat there...

Now bear in mind I had taken my two LAST tabs of Dramamine earlier, expecting that we'd get there and go up about the time it kicked in...

AND we sat there...

About an hour later we hear this rumble off in the distance and thought "that's not his car"...

Now Monzas are rare cars (and were even then) and V8 ones are even rarer. What do you think came rolling up but ANOTHER Monza! This one wasn't an original V8 car, and was kind of a hack-job with a smallblock 400 shoehorned in. Welded motor mounts, etc. All go, not "pretty" like mine. Guy worked at the airport.

So we did the "carguy" thing for a while and FINALLY our "pilot" (and the tower guy) showed up.

Now by this time I'm a few hours into my Dramamine rush (not) and my friend and I flipped a coin to see who would go up first.

As is typical for my luck, he won the toss and they did the preflight and took off.

About that time the other Monza owner said: "Wanna drag some?"

I said: "Sure, where?"

Turns out they had the runway marked off and there was NO other traffic that day. Coolness!

So while my friend was taking his flight *I* got to do a little racing! Unfortunately it was before I took the built 262.5 out and put my built 350 in so I got waxed pretty good (although he had a problem controlling wheelspin and I didn't)...

Finally (after another hour or so) the tower let us know the 152 was coming back (gotta love radio)...

Then it was my turn to ride.

Me in the right seat, crosswind takeoff, and up we went.

Got some air under us and he let me take the yoke. Kept it level and noodled around a while, nothing fancy...

Then the fun started. He took it back and did a few stalls-and-recoveries and tight turns and dives...

This was when I realized the Dramamine had worn off. Got that cold-sweat thing going, and the queasy feeling in the pit of my (empty, thank God) stomach.

Told him so and opened the side window to get some fresh air (thinking I was going to have to stick my head out and heave). Then he said: "You know if you puke it'll come right back in?"

Managed to "contain" myself until we landed, and once back on "Terra Firma" I was instantly OK...

Just thought I'd share that...

Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G