Thread: Discussion E-Flite SE5
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,572 Posts
Maidened mine today, no wind. Takeoff was fine, I'm running a park 250 with 7x4 gws prop. loops were nice and tight, pitch was a bit sensitive, so I toned down the throw. Needed all the rudder I could get. It seems a bit sluggish to recover from turns, needs opposite rudder to level out, from a right bank that was more than 45 degrees from level, it needed full left rudder,(about 1.25 inches throw) and a second or two to level back out or it would just stay in a kind of side slip, I'm wondering if the rudder is getting blanked by the wide flat fuse? It is odd because recovery should be in the direction of the torque, left bank recover was fine. landings were nice and slow, and controlable with throttle for gentle touchdown, however I noticed the landing gear had a tendency to creep into the fuse and eventually contact the control rods, so I wrapped some hinge tape around the ply former and the gear to keep it from pushing in further. I used 4 gram servos, a 4 gram receiver, and a 4 gram speed control, all up just behind the firewall, but I still needed 1/2 ounce of weight AND an eflite 800mah battery to get the CG as spec. So my AUW is 9 oz. I used UHU to attach the horiz stab, and just a bit of epoxy on the vertical stab so I don't think I added much weight there. It flew fine, maybe I need an 8x3.8 as the 7x4 required about half throttle to stay at level flight. I have a sig jenny that I reinforced the wings, and put a park 250 on it(so very similar to an eflite jenny) and has about the same wing, tail and AUW, it flies a bit better to me, we'll see if an 8x3.8 helps a bit.

Plane looks good in the air.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Very nicely done on the paint job!!!!! The foam only comes in white, and to paint the extra would ahve raised the price a bit. Was trying to keep it down if you know what I mean.

Use a 2S system for this bird. It has plenty of power with the stated power plant and a 2S battery. Keep it light and enjoy it flying at under 8 oucnes. Let me know what you guys think of the flight qualities, I personally love this one!!

John
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj