View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by cmartin
Idaho
Joined Sep 2001
156 Posts
Hinges

FWIW, I have been using pinned hinges on my micro models after trying most of the old and new hinging tricks. ( I never thought of tea bags though!) I use the insulation off of pieces of scrap wire for the hinge sleeves and use fine music wire for the pins. One handy feature is the ease of installaing and removing the control surface even after the model is finished. The picture shows some hinge installations in 1/32 balsa panels using insulation from #32 wire and MW pins. The parts are small but with some patience and an eye-loop they align and install easily. I use CA applied with the end of a sharp toothpick to run a glue bead along the length of the sleeves on top and bottom where they fit up against the panel edges. I put a small 90 degree bend in the pin and add a dab of model cement (Duco or Ambroid) to hold it in place. Even on larger installations the wire insulation makes good hinge sleeves. The blue/white model has a combination of center pinned hinge and outboard rubber hinges. The red/white and the yellow ones have pinned hinges only. I have found that magnetic centering on the actuator coils is eliminates the need for the elastomeric (rubber band) centering. Incidentally, the bottom rudder hinges on all of the installations shown have a lower hinge wire running through a fine hole in the fuselage and also mount the steerable tail wheels. The black parts are .010" pins and the red are .008" pins. The music store has guitar strings in these small sizes. They usually have a good selection of plain music wire guitar strings from .008" dia up to .024" dia in .002" or .003" size increments. It is always good quality music wire and inexpensive. And they have a neat little thimble in one end to pin them up on the wall for handy storage.
cmartin is offline Find More Posts by cmartin