Thread: Discussion Buccaneer Old Timer foamy
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2007, 04:53 PM
birdofplay is online now
Find More Posts by birdofplay
Registered User
birdofplay's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
9,523 Posts
Discussion
Buccaneer Old Timer foamy

Some time ago I thought it would be fun to do an Old Timer in foam.
The 1937 Bill Effinger Buccaneer design has always been a favorite.
I liked flying my big 88" span Buc with a 4-sroker on the nose.
Even more fun on floats at the lake.

For the foamy version I choose a 48" span to insure it being a Floater too.
The Blue RCFoam 1/8" thick and the UC foils ideas presented elsewhere in this
forum also sounded like they'd be good to incorporate.

I used CAD to "pretty up" the fuse and make it appear to be built up.
It's just a bunch of lightening holes.

With the short nose I decided that a double stator motor would be best.
plus a spot to put the battery in the nose helps to make the Cg just right.

The LG is simple CF rod crossed and the axel bound between them with
Kevlar thread and CA. It's taken serious beatings this summer with no
complaints or breakage.

The fuse is lined with some small strips of 1/32 ply on each side at the
front and rear wing hold down areas. Plus I later added some more to
reinforce the wing saddle area, since the foam was getting beat up from use.

I made EPP wheels from scraps left over from my Unicorn wing blanks.
All up wo battery it's 13.5 oz. I use either 1650ma or 1300ma 3s1p lipos.

I've flown ~60 T&Gs with the 1300's in one flight.
It's done lots of nice slow Loops, powering OFF at the top and keeping
a wary eye on that foam wing

Using only Rudder, Elevator an 18amp Esc and a small CC RX
I've had nothing but good times with this bird all summer long.
I take it to large scale Aero Tow meets here in the NW and fly it
before and after the big birds are up.

This fall I hit on the idea of using TWO sheets of 3mm depron and
sandwitching the "Covering" between them. Using 3m77 or similar to
bond the sheets into a 6mm thick piece with the monocote trapped
between them before assembly. I even used clear for the side windows.
I also used White and Black ( outside/inside) colors for pleasing contrast.

Then I had some Built Up wings from a Porter project that never got
completed, so I used them on this new Buc. These wings have Hot Bent LE
and then ribs glued inside.
It's RCFoam with the shiny skin on the outside.
Each wing half holds at least a small metal VISE up without
too much complaining. NO SPAR ! OK there is a CF tube to join them
for flight, but, the strength test was done without the spar !

I cut Ailerons and FLAPS into this wing and used four servos.
Besure to mechanicly arrainge yours so that both the flaps and
ailerons can be Y'd into a single channel.

This plane was flown TODAY for the first time in the mist no less .
I was worried about the power as this plane came out lots heavier at 20 oz
I used a green CC mamba inrunner motor and gearing. 8.5x8 prop
Surprise !!! it rolled out nicely but I had to add lots of down trim.
I guess the decelage, set for the flat UC wing, is off a tad.
I'll jack up the TE a smidge and let you know after the next flights.
This wing also seems to like the use of Rudder coordinated turns.
It has NO dihedral so that makes some sense.

Experienced builders should have few problems with this design.
Fee free to experiment and enhance your version.

If you do need some clarifications just let me know.

Have fun

Bob Neitzke
AMA42857
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Oct 21, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote