Old Sep 22, 2007, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by Chris F
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Help...I have a H.Zone Super Cub R.T.F.that i love flying, and i want to convert it to brushless.I use this plane for A.P.,so its always hauling xtra wt.I have a E-flite power 10 and matching E- flite 40A E.S.C. that i want to put in the S.C.What do you think ? and what other components Tx.Rx.servos etc. would you recommend ....Thanks much...R.T.R.
Hi R.T.R.

To be honest I'm not familiar with the Hobby Zone Super Cub (although I have heard lots about it) or the E-flite motors but that shouldn't matter. If the E-flite motor weighs about the same as the brushed motor in the Cub, you can swap the motors without worrying about the centre of gravity. I see the E-flite 10 weighs 122g (4.3 oz) so take out the brushed motor and weigh it. Kitchen scales are good for this. I don't know what batteries you are using, but you might have to move them around to maintain the centre of gravity. If you're not sure where the CG is, balance the Cub (with batteries in) with your finger tips under the wings near the fuselage and mark the balance points with a pen. This is where the CG should be when you have changed over the components. A 3-cell lipo would work well with your motor (just make sure you check the weight and dimensions so it fits and you can maintain your CG), and use a wattmeter to help choose a prop. The important specs for the E-flite 10 motor are:

Prop Range: 10x5 - 12x6
Cells: 6-10 Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd or 2-3S Li-Po
Continuous Current: 30A

Try some different props starting with a 10X5 and work up until you are using about 30 Amps. When you have selected your prop, it will "unload" a bit and use fewer Amps when flying.

I don't know what transmitter you are using now, but if you can plug your new esc into the existing receiver you should be ok. If your servos are still working I would stick with them until they break down and replace them with something the same size. There are plenty of small cheap ones available. I shop at Hobby City allot. Their range and prices are very good, and it is worth just browsing around checking dimensions and specs of different products just to get the hang of choosing replacement parts. You can of course do this at any online store with a good range. If you want to upgrade your radio and you are sure you will be into this hobby for a while, I think the Hitec Optic 6 is great value for a second radio. It has some impressive features for the price. If you are interested in good cheap receivers, the Corona series II Rx's are great for park flyers. They are soon releasing cheap synthesised units too.

I hope I have been of some help. Your E-flite stuff will work very well I'm sure, just remember the CG!

Good luck.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F