Find More Posts by CurtissP40
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
651 Posts
An L-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
Well, I was going to do the L-4 first, and then the Super Cub. The L-4 is as simple as a new fuselage, so that part's cool. I hope to have the L-4 at NEAT, though it depends on how fast the other projects go.

<SNIP>
Brian
Wow!! An L-4 Kit!!

I will be one of your first customers.

I already have your Clipped Wing Cub kit all framed up and ready to sand. I was going to install a 100 watt DIY two-stator motor, but it jammed up and fried a 10 amp ESC with over 80 amps. ( ) Time to re-wire.

In the mean time, in the last 3 weeks, I have been to two vintage air-show / fly-ins in the Portland, Oregon area where I have taken close to 200 photos of three L-4 restorations. One (an L-4H) with a pack of Lucky Strikes, a 45 auto in holster on the rear seat, and a copy of "Yank" magazine on the rear shelf.

Needless to say, most of my photos are of the window areas - with my folding carpenter's rule in some of them.

My plan is to bash a 12-15 year old still-in-the-box Goldberg Anniversary Cub into an L-4. (What the heck - it ain't that scale anyway!! What harm can I do? ) I expect to use a lot of carbon fiber and aluminum around those windows.

Knowing how fast I get to projects like this, I will probably finish your L-4 long before I get around to the hack job.

If anyone is in the Northwest the weekend of Sept 7-9, the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum (www.waaamuseum.org) is having its grand opening in Hood River, Oregon. The museum director told me they expect between 15 and 20 "L" birds there, including most assuredly the three L-4's I have pictures of. All are in flying condition.

ALSO - for all you Cub Nuts out there - - - Check out the second annual CubNuts fun fly Sept 21-22 in Oregon. My MM Clipped Wing cub will be there along with dozens of Cubs and cub-derivatives of all sizes and power plants up to a 40% Cub - and probably one or more of those L-4's in a full-size fly-by of cubs. See www.cubnuts.com. There will be some Cub aero-tows on the 21st. Is anybody aware that there was a Piper Cub glider?? Yup! There will be one of those there too. Many well-known sponsors including Wil Byers' Quiet Flyer Magazine and a LHS, Coyote Hobbies.

One of the attached photos is a Photoshop cutout of the WAAAM-owned L-4A that was at both air shows. The L-4H was the one with the Lucky Strike pack. Both planes in mint condition - and flyable.

Curt
CurtissP40 is online now Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurtissP40; Sep 01, 2007 at 02:25 PM.