Old Aug 08, 2007, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,648 Posts
Gallery
Dumas 24' Chris Craft by a Master.

Okay boys and girls, I have a treat for you today.

Today I was priveledged to host a master modeler at my home. His name is Pat Kenly, and he is a friend of Bob Herrera. He brought over a couple of Dumas Chris Craft models. One finished and one a work in progress.

The finsihed model is the 24' Chris Craft and it was built around 14 years ago. It has been entered in several contests where it placed 1st in all of them.

The majority of the fittings were made by Pat, from brass. Then polished, then sent out for triple chrome plating. After 14 years the chrome still looks new. The screws you see in the fittings, are in fact nails. Pat slotted each one by hand, polished them and then had them chrome plated. He made the flag staff from mahogany. He made the cutwater and the thing on the bow (forget the name). He made the windwings. He made the gas cap. He made the steering wheel. Those are actual spokes you see. He made the center piece from mahogany. He used a drill press for everything that needed machining/turning. He made the exhaust pipes and the cooling water exits through them. The boat has working lighting. You can see the brass contacts for the flag staff light in the rear compartment. He made the step plates and they have real rubber pads, chemically etched.

This model has the creme' de la creme' of electric motors. A Kroker Sea Ram.

Photos do not do this model justice. The macro photography also makes things look gritty. Pics are so close up you can see the polishing residue, grain in the wood, etc. In real life though, the model is just stunning. A masterpiece. It took Pat over two years to complete.

The work in progress is a Dumas Barrel Back. Also started 14 years ago. Then Pat got sidetracked and put it away. He is now going to start working on it again. The finish, as it is, is incredibly smooth.

Enjoy the photos!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Last edited by Kmot; Aug 09, 2007 at 12:33 AM.