View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by brucea
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Chapter 16: Graphics using Trim Seets and Striping Tape

One of the easiest ways to decorate your plane is with trim sheets and striping tape. You can also use high-visibility fluorescent trim sheets to make your plane more visible. An amazing array of colors and patterns are available as trim sheets. The decorations cut from trim sheets do not add significant weight to your plane.

I tend to use TopFlite trim sheets. TopFlite trim sheets are available in a lot of colors, and cost only $2.50 to $3.00 for a 36" x 5" sheet. In the RC hobby any item that only costs $2.50 is practically free!
Link to TopFlite Trim Sheets

I also have a TopFlite star template that I use quite a bit.
Link to Star Template

In the attached photos, I am adding some yellow trim to my Dandy GT. Although I liked the original color scheme, I found that I needed more contrast between the top and bottom. I was pleasantly surprised to find my Dandy GT is a heck of a lot more aerobatic than I expected! The Dandy GT roll rate is unreal! Unfortunately my 50 year-old eyes can not see as fast as the plane can roll. I had too much red on both the upper and lower surfaces.

Some of the techniques for attaching trim should look familiar. The trim sheet adhesive is extremely sticky. To allow the trim to be easily positioned, I squirt my handy soapy water mixture on the plane prior to placing the trim. I use a credit card squeegee to work out any air bubbles, and a clean rag to blot up excess water. Once the water dries, the trim is very firmly attached. Another benefit of using the soapy water is that the trim will not wrinkle the underlying covering.

Thanks, Bruce
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea
Last edited by brucea; Jul 31, 2007 at 01:59 AM.