View Single Post
Old Jul 06, 2007, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,560 Posts
A low tension "fishing scale" could be made from a ruler and a rubberband. Attach the rubberband to the 0 end of the ruler, then run a line from the band to the boat. Measure the stretch of the rubber band = bollard pull or windage. If the band is too weak (tug pulls band to the end of the ruler), just doubleup the band. You could calibrate the band with a known weight, or just use the raw measurement eg. if 2oz lead pulls the band 3 inches, your scale calibrates at 1.5"/oz. For your own purposes, an uncalibrated inch measurement would suffice; the calibration would be more for reporting your results for others on the forum to consider for devising their own rescue setups.

Your long-line-to-boat-and-back-to-shore is an accepted rescue method for models. If the rescue line is long enough (think kite string), you can dispense with the fishhook: you hold one end of the string in your hand, while the tug travels around the Schooner (carrying the reel of string) and then travels back to shore. Pull both ends of the string to retrieve the Schooner. Or you could just hold the reel onshore, if the tug is strong enough to haul the 100yds or so of string out and back while dragging it through the water.

If your Schooner falls over when it hits the bottom, the masts might not stick up high enough to break the surface. One tip on marking the location of a sinking object: don't stare at the water bubbles, stare at the opposite shore, picking out a landmark. Drop a handkerchief where you are standing, then dash off 50yds down the shore and do the same (drop another shore mark where you stand for this 2nd line). This will give you a triangulation, details of which you should write down before attempting a rescue. It is very easy to forget just what marks you were looking at, in the stress of the moment, so write them down for safety.....been there, done that.
-------
I once swam for a prop adapter that had fallen off my RC floatplane. It was October in Montana and the pond was very cold. I almost did not make it back to shore...hypothermia hits very fast in water, even if you are well blubbered as I am. The sunken object was only 20yds offshore, I thought, so I did not think of the danger. Before I even got half way there, I was wondering if this was stupid (it was). Pride drove me on. I could not have driven home in the state I was in when I did get back to shore. I spent the next half hour in my friend's hottub. Lucky.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Jul 06, 2007 at 05:55 PM.