Thread: Discussion Atlantic Harbor Tug
View Single Post
Old Jul 05, 2007, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,558 Posts
Very gratifying to use your tug for real work, isn't it :-). Placement And pickup of buoys is neat.

I like your quick release, I'll install one like yours when I get the tug back in the shop. A bit of sponge located below the tube would corral any drips that might get in. Most of the water on my deck comes from me splashing as I wade around the tug adjusting lines etc. You might consider pinching closed the barbs on your grapnel hook. I'd dull the points, too, to avoid scratching paint on your Schooner (could not tell from the photo, perhaps you've already filed them). Another hook, with longer arms, might be helpful for rescuing other boats; or you could use the toilet bowl float method (see the vac u boat/vac u tug site for details).

My current towline is floating flyline a)3 fathoms long,
b)has a float about a foot from the stern, along with the float on the hook,
c)has a weight of brass washers about 2 feet aft from the stern float.

The flyline's float and weight arrangement help ensure that the line will be sunk and clear the hull of my barges when I round up on them to pass the line underneath their hulls. Since the weight is so light, I can drag the line to the surface, if I choose, if I go fast with the tug.

The dangling bowline on the barge (that I attempt to snag with the hook) is about 15" long, lightly weighted with a couple small brass washers. More weight would make the snagged line less likely to pull free under tow. I leave the weight light so that the bowline does not anchor the barge in shallow water when I release it (I like it to drift offshore so I can then go rescue it).

Catch and release of barges is fun; if I circle clockwise to snag the barge, I find that circling counterclockwise and bumping the barge will usually free it from the hook, so I can go rescue it again. I have 2 barges tied in tandem. When the tieline is short, I can rescue the pair simply by shooting between them with the tug, skipping the towline. If the tieline is long, however, the shooting method does not work as I find that the tug often overuns the tieline and snarls it in the prop. Then it's time for the Kayak Rescue :-).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Jul 05, 2007 at 08:41 AM.