View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Aero65
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
110 Posts
Discussion
What are your thoughts on Clubs banning certain types of flying?

In a recent MA DB commented on how we should not turn away modelers because we do not like the type of models they are flying.

I have also read the stories of certain clubs banning types of flying, turbine, 3D, Electric etc.

I agree with DB's article for the most part there is no place to ban types of flying that other modelers are involved in. Now there are certain times like burn bans, etc. that some aircraft like turbines should not fly.

I don't think that AMA should support clubs that ban certain types of aircraft that are "AMA legal"

What is a AMA member to do if they are a minority in the club and their type of flying gets banned?

I suppose we have been operating under the auspices that common sense is the limiting factor here and that Club officers will use prudence and good judgment administering their clubs. Unfortunately many times when these ban issues come up it seems that prejudice, jealousy and emotions dictate the thought process, and we loose members.

Im am president of Aloha State R/C club on the Island of Oahu and fortunately we don't have any of this happening here in our state that I have seen. With all the stories that I have read though, it seems like there are enough incidents of this happening to make it an issue.

Thank you for your time and Good Luck
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65