Thread: Discussion Atlantic Harbor Tug
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by Brooks
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,556 Posts
She may be weed-free while traveling forward, but that lower gudgeon will snag, or at least impede, a towline that's dragging along the keel from stern to bowhook, ie backwards wrt the hull. Like I wrote, even a knot will catch a towline.

You could defeat this snag by tug operation (I do this to make the towline miss the keels of my barges). A) make sure the towline is sunk deeper than the keel at the stern, to clear the snagpoint, by adding weights. B) then once the towline is past the snagpoint, angle the tug away from the schooner and increase speed enough to haul the towline closer to the surface so it drags along the keel until it catches your hook (or in my case, catches the dangling bowline). You might have to experiment with weights (and floats) placed on the towline to get the droop you want when the tug is moving slowly up the hull toward the bow.

Even if you snag the gugeon, you should be able to turn the tug away and free the line for another attempt. This turn-away manuver is one reason I find a long towline works better than a short one. If the towline is short, you don't have manuvering room.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks