View Single Post
Old May 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Maidened the Stryker (finally)

Finally had some time off for this holiday weekend, and (for once) the weather cooperated. I like to maiden new planes in dead calm weather so that I can easily trim the plane during flight. There were NO winds at all today in my flight area, not even the slightest breeze. I posted some photos/specs of my F-27 Stryker a few pages back in this thread, but I'll reiterate the specs anyway...

Power:
* Mega 16/25/4 long can motor
* CC 35A ESC
* HS-65HB servos
* 4S 2200mAh LiPo
* 7x7 Graupner speed prop

Airframe:
F-27B - all stock airframe parts used

I'll start off by stating that the Stryker launches with ease. Quick comparison - every time I loft my FunJet into the air, I get nervous for a few seconds because the thing has a tendency to torque roll immediately. The Stryker goes into the air very smoothly, no noticeable torque roll or wobble from a typical hand launch. With that Mega 16/25/4 and a 4S LiPo, the F-27 Stryker screams across the sky at ballistic speeds. The Mega 16/25/4 provides ~50 oz. of thrust when equipped with a 7x7 Graupner speed, propelling the 27 oz. airframe through the sky at incredible speeds.

I had to add several clicks of down trim because the Stryker (thanks to its delta wing characteristics) definitely had a tendency to nose-up when I punched the throttle. The best way to trim the Stryker is to compromise - you don't want too much down trim, because you'll nose down during docile flight. I am considering mixing throttle with a little down elevator, but I'm fine with handling it manually for now. After a few clicks of down trim, it was flying nice and level, perfect hands-off gliding as well.

I'll post some video some time in the next week. I am interested in getting a Doppler reading - on some of the low-altitude passes I did today, I would estimate the Stryker traveling at ~80-90mph, but want to confirm that. The 4S 2200mAh LiPo still had juice after more than 12 minutes of high-throttle flight, although I did limit WOT to short 5-10 second bursts.

Bottom line - the Stryker is incredibly easy to fly, and I believe the Mega 16/25/4 is a good motor, especially if you're looking for power. I could certainly tell that the Stryker wasn't intended to be pushed this far (due to its nosing-up tendencies), but it's a load of fun and impressive to watch at high speeds.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; May 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM.