View Single Post
Old Apr 04, 2007, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,092 Posts
Starting the rebuild

Before you do anything, I highly recommend insulating the stator. Take it from the king of stator shorts, a stator short can easily destroy your speed control. I can not stress enough how much easier your rewind will be if you do this.

Most stators will be already insulated, but if you cooked your motor as well as I do that coating is toast, in wich case you'll need to reinsulate it. Start by using a small hobby file to smooth all the rough corners on your stator.

Insulating the stator:

The best thing to use is loctite 410 and a little CA kicker. It is available at www.gobrushless.com for $5. Be sure to coat the end turns well as that is where a short will occur.

Another method is the epoxy dip. Get a good high quality epoxy that hardens well (faster cure such as 15 or 20 minute will be easier) and mix in about 25% of a good dark paint. Wrap your stator in tape (don't forget to protect the bearing) and then dip in the epoxy and let it run off. Continue dipping to get a good coating.

A third method, is a thread wind. Wind a peice of thread several times around your stator teeth. You don't need to cover then entire thing completely. 10-20 turns is usually enough. Then soak the thread in thick CA and let it soak into the thread. After a minute or two, spray with kicker. This will leave a thin coating of CA over the stator with thread to keep it in place.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by IBCrazy; Mar 29, 2008 at 09:15 PM.