View Single Post
Old Apr 04, 2007, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by jetset44
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,669 Posts
Construction Details

Here are some photos showing the build of this model. Construction methods are very similar to the rest of my park jet designs. Although it's a bit more complicated than the F-15 and F-18 park jets, it's a lot less complicated than the F-14 and F-22 park jets. But overall the build is pretty simple and straightforward and goes quickly. The hardest part about building this model is that it requires a LOT of sanding due to all the complex curves and fillets. This design features extra large corner doublers in the fuselage and nacelles to allow sanding those parts to a scale round shape, but all that extra sanding is definitely a lot of work. But then again it wouldn't be a real Sukhoi without those beautiful curves… ;D Just be sure to wear a dust mask when sanding so you don't inhale all that foam dust and make yourself sick (don't ask me how I know… )

Note there are wide variety of options for how this model can be built, including:

* Canard or no canard – The plans show all the modifications required to convert this Su-37 to one of the original non-canard Su-27 or Su-30 variants. All that's required is to delete the canard, install a modified strake and modify the vertical tail. The changes required to do this are shown in red on the plans.

* Twin motors or single motor – This design can be easily adapted for a single centerline motor, which could be done with or without thrust vectoring (in this case it would be single-axis or pitch only). Note the upcoming Littlescreamers Super Park Jet Special motor would be an excellent motor for a single-motor version. The changes required to do this are also shown on the plans.

* With or without thrust vectoring – The TV system provides amazing maneuverability on this model but also adds quite a bit of weight, cost and complexity. For those that want a simpler version, this model can be built without the TV system and will still be a great-flying park jet. Another option would be to simplify the TV system by slaving the TV and stabilators together mechanically to eliminate the need for one pair of servos and a lot of complex transmitter programming. I'll describe the TV system in more detail in the next post.

* Flight controls – There are a wide range of flight control options on this model. To actuate everything (stabilators, flaperons, rudders, canard, thrust vectoring, throttles) would require 9 channels and up to 8 servos! But on the other hand, this model could be flown just fine using tailerons only—3 channels and 2 servos. The setup on my model is in the middle, with tailerons, rudder, thrust vectoring, and twin throttles, for 7 channels and 5 servos. I'll describe the flight controls and mixes required in more detail in a subsequent post.
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44