View Single Post
Old Jul 06, 2001, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by ShredAir
slope'n somewhere in the Andes
Ecuador, Pichincha, Tabacundo
Joined Mar 2001
4,772 Posts
Large, high-power/performance electric gliders

Apparently, interest in these planes is building. However, they are no more an F5B plane than a truck is a race car. People do race trucks, I realize, but they use tires, transmissions, and engines quite different from those of a Formula-1 car. Likewise, optimum power trains for a large glider differ in prop size, gear ratio, and motor design from those of an F5B plane. And not all gliders lend themselves equally well for electric power.

For the Stratos SR, we offer a specially-matched Lehner brushless system coupled with a Reisenauer planetary gearbox and RFM 17x10 to 18.5x12 propellers (sorry, this is not yet on the web site) to run on 16-20 RC2400 cells. The SR is really a F3F slope racer whose overall design, relatively light weight, high strength, and excellent ability to carry weight, make it a good choice for a high-powered, high-performance, electric-enhanced slope machine.

Don't confuse it with an LMR (limited motor run) glider, it's wing loading is a little high for that, and the Lehner system we specify consumes way too much juice for a 30-second motor run; the plane would be out of sight by then, probably at the apogee of a smoke trail... )

No F5B, no LMR, so what good are these planes? They don't fit any structured contests, I admit, but boy, are they FUN!!! Say you are a slope addict suffering from withdrawal symptoms (so HLG and polyhedral gas bags are out) and having trekked to the edge to the most awesome, sheer abyss where sinking out means almost certain loss of the airplane, and there is MAYBE enough lift to fly...

Well, toss out your high-performance, e-overpowered slope sled and go find some lift. If there ain't none, laugh at the sink monster and escape its claws with the push of a button or the flick of a switch. In a few seconds, the plane is up high enough and out away from the slope, loitering, and waiting for an unsuspecting thermal to come along. When it does, hook it, center it, and follow it home. Just before it reaches the slope edge, let loose of a fury of high-speed slope aerobatics, taking full advantage of the thermal's lift as it passes through. Aah, what a slope fix...

It's fun, believe me! I will demonstrate this with my Stratos SR-e at Sailplane and Electric Modeler' Memaloose event July 19 through 22, where I'll hurl the plane fearlessly out over the Hells Canyon of the Snake River. If you're interested in such decadent, non-conventional flying, e-mail or call me, vee vill pump you up... )

Dieter
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir