View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,833 Posts
another noob w/ power questions

Guys: Getting into RC after my retirement in 04, and made a Gentle Lady, but kept crashing it and quit for year, then found this site, and the scratch built foamies. Best idea in the world, Disposable planes. I built the pete (cause it just looked so cool) from some pink foam then saw the T1 and figured it would be better to learn on. I followed the plans except for a full width elevator ( just kept cutting. . .). After nosing it in several times, I did add more foam on nose. It weighs about 7.7oz without batteries I have tried using 7.2v 220mah cox nimh's. which brings up my question. Yesterday I finally had a still day Here in Michigan's thumb and tried to really fly it out in the field away from trees, etc. Hand launched and made one good hundred foot circle when the motor cut out (it's a j250 with 4 inch prop). Giving it throttle it would start, but immediately quit - elevator and rudder servos work fine. Is this the low batt shutoff working? Once I experienced it , it dawned on me that the 220 mah's might not last very long with a J250. I found Hobbico7 cell 8.4v 850mah Nimh for $5.63 On Tower Hobbies site. Is that the direction I should go? For Both the T1 and the Pete (which currently has a Geared MPI EPU4 setup and weighs 6.5 oz without batts)

Sorry for long post, but thanks for any help.

Mike
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer