Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Mark, Thought I might offer a suggestion that will make skinning the hull a bit easier -- if you're not already too far along.

Anyhow, the sides can be skinned in one continuous sheet from stem to stern, but making the curve up front can be challenging. I use watter and steam to pull mine around. Another way is to run the grain vertically on at least the front two bays, though a vertical grain all the way back is also acceptable.

Hope this helps.

PAT
Thanks, Pat! I've got the bottom sheeted, and the first of the sides soaking in water. Periodically I've been refreshing the water bath with hot water. But, I have a new appreciation for what you told me about wood boat building being all about "making wood go places it doesn't want to go, and doing things it doesn't want to do".

In one of your other boat threads you talked about steaming planks with your covering iron, so I will give that a go if I can't soften the wood up enough with soaking. If that fails, I'll look at doing the sides in a couple of pieces. I have plenty of 1/16" balsa sheet on hand, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for the thoughts and advice. I appreciate it!

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr