Old Mar 03, 2007, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,856 Posts
Discussion
Pat Tritle's "Marina" Build

OK, so I am a diehard airplane guy. But, I've been lurking in the boat forums for a long time. I happen to love boats, but just never felt I had the skills to build one. I don't know why, but they always look a lot more complicated than airplanes, to me.

So I decided I would build one. I have my heart set on building a Chris Craft 19' Racing Runabout. My family owned a mahogany Chris Craft back in the 50's and 60's (yes, I'm that old). After getting the kit, I looked at it, and having read all the build threads here, I decided the CC should be my 2nd boat, and that I needed something else with which to "stick my toes in the water". So I began a hunt here and elsewhere for "beginner" kits. While I have nothing against foam and plastic (I own one foam airplane), I really wanted to do a wood boat.

After a lot of searching, I found some boats at Dare Hobbies that looked like they fit the bill. Small, wood, laser cut, and advertised as easy to build. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Pat Tritle was the designer! I have built a number of Pat's airplanes, and have always found him to be extraordinarily helpful with his knowledge and advice, not to mention his good humor. I religiously read all of his airplane build threads, and think I have read most, if not all, of his boat build threads as well.

The next thing I did was to do a search here for build threads on the Tritle-designed Dare boats. I was surprised to find absolutely nothing. So I wrote Pat an email, and asked him about the designs. He responded that he thought they would be a good first foray into wood boat building. He also offered (thanks, Pat!) to keep an eye on a build thread, and respond with suggestions and corrections.

I would also encourage all of the experts who frequent these forums to weigh in as the spirit moves you. All contributions will be gratefully accepted. I am in awe of much of the work that appears in the boat forums, especially the scale forum.

So, what is the Marina? It's an 18" "Sport scale" Sport Fisherman. Speed 400 powered (I have several of those on hand), using a micro servo for rudder (I plan on an HS-55, of which I also have a bunch sitting around).

As Pat told me, the kits are from his "pre computer days". The kit includes two nicely hand drawn plan sheets (full size), all the wood and running hardware. A few scale touches include a ship's wheel, cleats and a plastic scoop for the foredeck.

This morning I opened up the box, read through the instructions a couple of times, studied the plans a bit, labeled the parts, tacked one of the plan sheets to my board, rolled up my sleeves and started building.

The first pic is of the built up keel and the sheer. The second pic shows the formers (do boat folks call them formers?) attached to the sheer, the keel in place, and the chine stringers in place, along with the transom. Next up is to sand everything so the chines, keel and former all are as even as I can get them. After that, the hull is sheeted, bottom first and than the sides.

So, my first question for the experts: When sheeting a hull, do you make a pattern and cut the sheets accordingly, or do you glue the sheeting in place, and then cut to match the chine and the sheer? I've done airplanes both ways, but I wonder if there is a preferred methodology. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

This may be my first foray into model boats, but it will not be my last. I plan on being a regular here, time and disposable income permitting.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr