View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2007, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Controlled Fall
Chantilly, VA
Joined Dec 2006
213 Posts
Completing the wings

The second wing proceeded with minimal drama. I kind of wished I had taken a closer look at the fit of the spars before hand as this one did not fit together as well as the first wing. It will need some significant sanding in order to have a smooth airfoil. Perhaps if I had sanded the slots with a fine tool before hand, I would have had a better fit. I also think I have a crooked rib #1 which may have placed a little bit of compression and tension in some of the spars. I guess I'll see if it really is crooked when I get to attach them to a finished fuselage.

I had a little trouble figuring out exactly how to attach the wingtips. After consulting the other builds I am fairly certain I got it right. Hopefully its evident in the picture below.

I also decided its a bad idea to share the workspace with other projects. I had been building a model of the Yorktown I bought in the Charleston giftshop when I was kid. Moving the stuff around, working on one project in parallel while the other dried sounded good in theory, but I'll try not to do this in the future.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. I think this is going to be a good build. Now I need to order my hardware. More later!
Controlled Fall is offline Find More Posts by Controlled Fall