View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2007, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Controlled Fall
Chantilly, VA
Joined Dec 2006
213 Posts
Alright, my computer did not like being left unattended with Photoshop running, it crashed and took forever to recover, but I've got a few minutes so now back to the build.

I set up a work station where I normally work on my plastic kits and inspected the parts. I was struck by how light and flimsy and the balsa felt. I also learned that "Laser Cut" means "cut." The parts simply pop out without any significant cutting! That aspect made things easier than expected but not easy. I sanded the nubs with my homemade sand blocks (discarded 2x4 ends with 3M 180 grit bonded with 3M77 spray adhesive). I was concerned about some occasional "fuzz" generation, but I got over it.

I found the first few steps puzzling. There seemed to be some unnecessary parts to glue onto the stabilizer and rudder. I didn't mind as it gave me some good training for handling thin CA for the first time. I wore plastic gloves as I had read that it was quite easy to glue one's self to the plane.

These tip pieces came from a thicker sheet of balsa so I began to understand why I'd be sanding from time to time to get everything consistent. When it came to sanding the bevel, I wasn't exactly sure what that meant so I consulted the other builds.
Controlled Fall is offline Find More Posts by Controlled Fall