View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by roidspop
Joined Apr 2005
1,042 Posts
That's a very useful manual. How imbalance occurs and what the consequences are aren't an issue in this case, however. I simply stated what I've personally observed; a healthy pack showing a moderate voltage imbalance at the end of a discharge recovers balance at low charging rates. Period. If a cells have large differences in internal resistance, this "floating" process probably won't work because charging in series through the discharge connector would allow cell(s) to exceed 4.2V and be permanently damaged (puffed). Even the Kokam people are saying that a user ought to monitor the condition of individual cells using a special fixture and a DVM; modern balancing chargers give you that kind of information and automatically control charging very precisely. The fellow who started this thread doesn't have one of these chargers or a DVM rig and wants to know if he can slow-charge a pack and keep it in balance. It appears to me that, if the pack has NOT been abused, he CAN do this (if his charger works properly), but he'll be working in the dark. If he has no other alternative, then (1) set up the power system to limit current draw to 70% C (2) fly by a timer and NEVER go to LVC (3) slow-charge for about 20 minutes, then charge at 1C (4) cross your fingers.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop