View Single Post
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:37 AM
Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
I thought epoxy wouldn't bond to elapor, and we had to use medium CA with kicker? I guess not though, since you're saying you successfuly have used epoxy for the tail of your EasyStar. I wish I had known that, as the CA for my tail set before I could fully get the empannage down into it's intended position (thus my decelage (sp?) angle is lower than specified). Oh well, it flies!
Hi dmt,

Yep, epoxy will work. I 'think' the manufacturer recommends against it because the claim is that it works, but somehow weakens with age? I have no idea, except to say that it's worked well for me. What I do is take a toothpick and poke shallow holes all over the two surfaces to be joined by the epoxy. This lets the epoxy seep into the holes acting as reinforcement, much the same way re-rod works for cement. The biggest benefit however is the extra time it gives allowing me to set it up perfectly in alinement. Besides, even if the claim that the epoxy bond with the foam is valid, the 'plugs' will certainly stay strong as anything.

Another thing I do is to use CA and kicker to glue the two fuse halves together. BUT.... I only put a drop every few inches along the halves. This way, on a less than ideal landing, the fuse halves will tend to separate at the glue joints, dissipating the kinetic energy of the crash by popping the glue joints, rather than having the energy be totally concentrated in one area of the fuse and crushing it.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but the above methods have worked very well for me.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)