Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by bz1mcr
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSuperPowers
Now is the point in the development stage where I have to fly it every day and see where it needs improvement.

At its current size (26x36, 18oz) it wants a 9x6 to go vertical. For me its kind of a big prop for a pusher jet. I would like to go with a prop somewhere between a 6x3 to a 8x6, ideally.

What I am going to do is take this one (M-2) and chop it down. I will take the under side body plate off (which is just one piece), cut a few inches off the nose, etc. Then see how it goes with a lighter smaller body... Much like I did with the SkyRider development to find the ideal wing loading, prop, motor size:
http://www.rcpowers.com/SkyRider/sky...evelopment.htm

Then I will put a bunch of lines every 1/2 inch on the wingtips and cut the wing tips down 1/2 inch at time (flight after flight) and see just how small I can get this thing?!

I would like to get it down to a 18x28ish size plane and be around 14-16oz... this will let me put a smaller, faster prop/motor on it.

I'll post my results in the next couple days and see how small I can get this thing...
The reason the current plane needs a 9-6 to go vertical is it has a very slow motor. The Hacker A20-20L Has a Kv of only 1022. It also weighs 57 g. I have customers flying 19 oz strykers with a 28g motor and a 6-5 prop at over 100 mph. A vertical hand launch will put it at the limits of sight in 6 seconds straight up. I admit that is extreme and beyound what you want, but you should go in that direction.

I don't think you necessarily need a smaller plane, but you definately need a higher Kv motor. And of course lighter is always good also.
I think if you tried a Komodo 2407-12 you would really like it.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr