View Single Post
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by magic612
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Landing gear

I was disappointed to discover that the .032" wire I had intended to use as landing gear was not strong enough to support the plane. So, I had to go with the .047" wire I used for the prior design. I was hoping to save a couple grams of weight, especially since it's up front, but I realized that my AUW with a 200 mAh battery was still only 5.25 oz, which is right where I wanted to be anyway.

To attach the landing gear, I first CA'd a small strip of 1/32" plywood to the bottom of the fuse, about an inch or so back from the nose. I then CA'd two small pieces of 1/32" at the aft section of that larger piece of ply. Then I took another longer piece of ply, and made an "open" slot (soon to become a closed slot for the gear wire). I added two pieces of ply along the sides, making sure to CA them to the sides of the fuse as well. Then the pre-bent wire slides right into the slot.

BTW - If anyone has a better and easier way of making landing gear for small planes - LET ME KNOW! This is the one part I seem to have trouble doing - BUT - I also really like having landing gear on my planes whenever possible.

Hopefully the two pics show enough detail that what I did makes sense!!!
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612