Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
IMP Concepts 3D Prining
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The L
Nope, I don't have that one, however I have one that looks just like it, has the same battery hatch, same almost-but-not-quite scale landing gear, etc. The prop that came with mine was a 7x4.

I have a feeling the one on Hobby-Lobby's site is just a rebrand of the one I have.

You could use Dual Rates, that would probably be safer than just moving the control stick less than you expect to need.

An 8x4 prop with a 1700kv motor on an 11.1v lipo would definitely be enough for a 16 oz model. I stuck a BP21 CD-ROM brushless motor (I think it's about 1500kv) with an 8.4v NiMH battery on mine. After crashing for having the CG too far back I fixed it (the damage was minimal, but I broke the prop). It climbed well at full throttle and had a decent amount of speed. I'm going to guesstimate about 40 mph straight level flight. If you flew 20 years ago you were probably flying glow planes so I don't know what "fast" is for those, but for an electric park flyer 40 mph is more than enough. It climbed quite well too.

I don't know of a formula for selecting one. The prop pitch speed should be about how fast your model will fly, minus a few mph because your airframe isn't 100% efficient. You can generally climb vertically or at a very steep angle if you have at least 1.2x the thrust of your weight.
The HL Cessna is 28oz not 16.

SWR
ShokWaveRider is online now Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider