Old Dec 13, 2002, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,788 Posts
I'll take a stab at it..

Jim

You might find that 1/32 sheeting is awful thin and can be difficult to handle on a plane this size. Have you run the wing area?

In terms of airfoils- I wouldn't trust the Guillow's stuff very far. Full scale airfoils are no help at model sizing. There are a bunch of foamie DC3s out there in this size range- if they fly OK, steal their airfoil.

In terms of power systems- an 8 x 6 three blader on probably 175 watts or so should have ample power reserve. (I fly a P-38- 4.5 lbs, 200 watts per motor- flies like a P-38- I figure a DC-3 doesn't need quite that level of power, but having some extra on tap is not a bad thing-= 350 watts (175 x 2) should be plenty.)

If you're willing to do the $$$ of brushless, then your setup works fine- basically do two motors, and ESCs- you might get away with one battery though, but if you don't mind charging two, that works well. (that's what I'm using.)

Brushless motor suggestions- the simple and easy system that comes to mind is either a Jeti 15/4, or a Mega 22/10/6. Run the motors on 7 cells- you should hit 175 watts or so on that prop (guessing a bit here- I run two bladers) A pair of 4/5 AUP 1700 NiMH cells- you'll be up there for a long time, lots of power, about as light as it gets- your total motor system should be about 22 ounces- competitive with glow in my book. Plus if your bird gets a little porky, add and extra cell, run a two blade prop, and you'll have 400 watts easy- probably enough for a 6 lb bird. I hate gearboxes- for your setup they're unnecessary unless you go to brushed motors.

The cheaper alternative if you come in light is the 450 Turbo motor- run one ESC and battery pack- should be close to the same weight, but would be happier in a 4 lb airplane. Some folks are flying Beauforts using this motor- you need to go down to 7 cells though which gives you 300 watts total (and not as efficient as the brushless either, although not bad.)

Hope this helps,

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe